Recommended animation books

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

GCharb

Post by GCharb »

slowtiger wrote:but a good artist should be able to transfer the principles to whatever style he's working in
Absolutlly, even to new styles, production can take you anywhere, sometimes a client has an idea for a style barelly used before, but the disney or HB style uses principles that are used in anime or pretty much any styles used out there.

When I started, these styles we're the only one we had, especially since I come from a french(canadian) only background, I grew up with those, so it was normal for me to learn those styles at first.

First japanese anime we had when I was a young one, pretty much the only one, was Sally, from Toe animation, called Minifée in french, man that brings me like 35 years back!

These used same basic principles use in Disney HB animation, those are like the laws of physics, they are the same anywhere, well, exccept for a few exceptions.

Any books teaching these, wether they are european, asian or plain old american will get you started learning animation, doesnt matter what the style of the drawing is, but, one must admit that americans have quite a bit of production experience, that they have quite a bit of teaching experience, hence the quality of the books produced by such firms as Disney and experienced folks like Blair.

My two cents

GC
Last edited by GCharb on Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

GCharb wrote:
slowtiger wrote:but a good artist should be able to transfer the principles to whatever style he's working in
Absolutlly, even to new styles, production can take you anywhere, sometimes a client has an idea for a style barelly used before, but the disney or HB style uses principles that are used in anime or pretty much any styles used out there.

When I started, these styles we're the only one we had, especially since I come from a french(canadian) only background, I grew up with those, so it was normal for me to learn those styles at first.

First japanese anime we had when I was a young one, pretty much the only one, was Sally, from Toe animation, called Minifée in french, man that brings me like 35 years back!

These used same basic principles use in Disney HB animation, those are like the laws of physics, they are the same anywhere, well, exccept for a few exceptions.

Any books teaching these, wether they are european, asian or plain old american will get you started learning animation, doesnt matter what the style of the drawing is, but, one must admit that americans have quite a bit of production experience, that they have quite a bit of teaching experience, hence the quality of the books produced by such firms as Disney and experienced folks like Blair.

My two cents

GC
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Er...why are you quoting yourself?
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

LOL, how the h... did that happen!!!! :)

GC
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

my 2c is to reaffirm whats already been said. animation books like the ones mentioned aren't 'how to draw' books but more about the principles of animation regardless of style - just because the examples look like disney doesnt mean they cant be applied to abstract applications. Whatever style one is interested in, the principles of good animation will apply.
my 2c is to reaffirm whats already been said. animation books like the ones mentioned aren't 'how to draw' books but more about the principles of animation regardless of style - just because the examples look like disney doesnt mean they cant be applied to abstract applications. Whatever style one is interested in, the principles of good animation will apply.
"I make so much sense i quote my own self!"
dm

Post by dm »

http://www.animationmeat.com/notes/walt ... field.html

Walt Stanchfield's stuff in book form Animation Meat used to have it all online, then removed it so it could be published. Mostly drawing and observation notes. Interesting, none the less.

A bunch of other stuff there (free) that's informative as well. Go to Links>Books for a list (reviews around on the site as well).

I wonder how the first animators learned anything without books or classes?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

dm wrote:I wonder how the first animators learned anything without books or classes?
Trials and errors, look at McCay's work, every frame was hand drawn, even the bg's, on each frames, insane stuff!

Thanks for the link btw! :)

GC