best audio program

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

chrisw

best audio program

Post by chrisw »

so im trying to find a good audio program to change my voice, add some noises like dog bark,fart, some back ground ie birds etcetc and will export in a wav im not finding anything that fits the bill.. i found a program that is used to change a voice and add some effex but is geared to use for web/cam and online gaming live stuff ....any ideas ?? what do you use to make your wavs?
chucky

Post by chucky »

Audacity or soundforge, cubase,acidpro, logic, ableton live, nuendo.
Add vst plugins like vocoders, or chameleon and many free ones to the ones in red for listed above for more freaky effect.
Audacity is free, and there is a free version of cubase I think but audacity has limited effects.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

If you buy an audio interface (necessary for really good audio quality) you often get a budle of "light" software with it. On Mac, you could do some stuff with Garage Band. Audacity is the best start you can get.
theshaggyfreak

Post by theshaggyfreak »

I agree that Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) is one of the best free programs for audio out there. I personally run a small recording studio and use Pro Tools but it can get rather expensive. If you need a higher quality input instead of your standard audio card, something like this would be your best bet. You would also need a decent microphone as well. Something like the MXL 990 would do. One last option is a decent USB microphone. Blue makes two USB microphones that would work just fine. They have the Snowflake and the Snowball.
Shaggy
chucky

Post by chucky »

Hey Shaggy, I am on a PC (yeah I know), my favourite audio program is actually logic- bummer that they discontinued for PC several years ago.
Anyway on the topic of audio cards and in particular latency which protools/mac people don't have the nightmare with, what about creamware?
I have heard they might be the G.O. as they take processing away from the cpu and reduce latency.
Any thoughts on this Shaggy?
Please don't tell me I need a mac :wink: :oops:
theshaggyfreak

Post by theshaggyfreak »

Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with Creamware to really make an opinion. These days, if you have a decent Intel Core 2 duo PC or Mac, you'll be fine as far as latency goes. The speed of today's processors let people like me run a small project studio on a budget out of my house that doesn't break the bank. You don't NEED a Mac but in my experience with recording, OSX has been more stable for me than Windows has. I was a Windows man for many years and made the switch a couple years ago. Your mile may vary, though.
Shaggy