AS free or for only $20?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mkelley

AS free or for only $20?

Post by mkelley »

I can't be the only one on this mailing list:

http://www.contentparadise.com/us/user/ ... duct_21991

Now, part of me is a bit worried about this. I really hate fire sales of something this fine (yes, it's "only" the non-Pro version, but still...). OTOH, if it's a shrewd marketing Christmas ploy to try and get tens of thousands (tens of hundreds? :>) to become AS users (and then to get them to pay for upgrades) perhaps it's super clever.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I always thought that the standard version was a bit of a... joke really. The features missing were annoying rather than inspirational. It's one thing to long for a cool feature but another if a missing feature makes using the program difficult.

The low price and giving it away makes sense. those missing features aren't such a burden... it's cheap! It's free! Buy pro and get the cool features! Many applications offer free versions that you can upgrade to pro for a price.

-vern
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Well at that price I went ahead and picked up a copy of Standard. I always wonder what may or may not work in Standard. Now I'll know.
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Yeah, I was even thinking that it's too bad my grandkids are a *little* too young right now -- I'd pick up two or three copies (they need another year or two before it would be worthwhile, and by then who knows...?).

The lack of actions would do me in, but otherwise the standard AS looks extremely good. This is one of the more amazing software deals out there right now (kind of like finding Photoshop 7 for $20 or some such).
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

Isn't there always a price drop before a big new release? :D :D :D :D :D :D :) :) :) :) :) :) :? :? :? :? :? :? :( :( :( :( :( :(
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

lol @ Rudiger... like your smiley animation - very effecting (especially if you 'ease' your eyes from left to right :P)
Canny Valley

Post by Canny Valley »

Oh, I dunno. I come from a Flash background, and compared to Flash, Anime Studio non-pro is great for 2D animation. It gives you a better workflow, than flash, more consistent design tools, the ability to drag points for lifelike animation, and skeleton rigging that actually works right the first time.

Of course, it's not perfect. I miss being able to enter precise X and Y coordinates of points, and it's useless for making games... but 2D animation that look hand-drawn, Anime Studio is a huge improvement over Flash.
Genete

Post by Genete »

I miss being able to enter precise X and Y coordinates of points
Select the Translate tool and select a single point. then enter the coordinates in the x and y numeric fields in the top of the main window (behind the menu).
If several points are selected the numeric input represents its average center.
-G
Canny Valley

Post by Canny Valley »

Oh yeah.

I knew about that. Duh. I dunno, for some strange reason, it just doesn't feel as immediate. Maybe it's because there's no grid. Maybe it's because they're offsets from the center instead of the corner. I dunno. Just doesn't quite feel as intuitive.

But you're right, the feature exists. :D