Matrix Text Effect

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

SJHooks

Matrix Text Effect

Post by SJHooks »

Is it possible to make a matrix text animation in anime studio's particle effect? I've been using anime studio for only three years now so I'm not a complete expert. And by the text effects I mean like the following URL:

http://www.flashperfection.com/tutorial ... 23525.html

The url above goes to a flash tutorial, but I'm just using it as an example.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Piece of cake. I did this in like three minutes using an image string of letters.

http://www.mediafire.com/?iixnzjsdinv

:wink:
SJHooks

Post by SJHooks »

cool dude, thanks. There are like three things I'm still searching for. Remember that URL I put at the top? Well I've been trying to figure out what makes the matrix effect look like the matrix effect. There are a few things that your animation needs:

1.) when the words are coming down they need to fade from the top to the bottom

2.) Is that a mask effect? When the words go down they dissapear from top to bottom, but not fade.

3.) Are the words going down in a pattern, or are they going down randomly?

4.) The words aren't bright enough :lol:

5.) The words, as they come down, look like they lag or something. I'm not really sure what hte correct term is, but if you compare the two matrix text effects, the URL and your's, you can notice that the speed is different.

Thanks for submiting though, I appreciate it.

Otherwise it is a great animation that is very inspirational. I noticed you used the same words, but that can be easily fixed by making at least 10 different word streams and sending them down rapidly instead. The ocapacity on the words needs to be a little bit lower, to about 90 or 95%. And lasty: well done. Really inspirational. (Oh and ps: in the tutorials for anime studio [pro if you have it] tutorial 2.6_3 shows that in a mask if you make it wide enough and and blur it, it will look like it's fading out from a certain direction [or in]). Really nice job.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, much more can be done with this, but you seem to have a handle on it. If I actually needed this, it would have been done much better, but for a quick example it seems to have done its job.

:wink:
SJHooks

Post by SJHooks »

Cool. This is a really helpful file. I think the problem with the whole thing is that you used a different program to make tthe text, if you used anime studio, typed random letters and rearranged them from top to bottom, you could have done much more, and I bet that it would look better. Just one last thing now: Can you fade things out with a particle? Like I said earlier:
1.) when the words are coming down they need to fade from the top to the bottom
Is it possible to do so using a particle? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you take the singe vector layer used as the base of the particle and make that fade out over time, so that the particle words also do so?

-SJHooks
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Yes, particles can be animated "individually". A particle layer is just any layer repeated using the particle system. If the layer inside the particle layer has animation in it it will "play" as part of the particle.

So you could fade out the letters in the layer inside the particle layer.

-vern
SJHooks

Post by SJHooks »

Cool. When I have free time tommorow I'm gonna try to make it the best I can. Hopefully it won't suck, but for about three years I've only been concerned with the animating in ASP, not the particle system. Thanks for the help, and especially for the quick answers

-SJHooks
Genete

Post by Genete »

I suggest to have a particle(s) of the entire alphabet switch ('0', '1', ...'A','B', ... 'a','b',...) inside a particle layer that makes the matrix effect. The particle inside would give random letters and the particle outside would place them randomly in the horizontal. Then animate them vertically and with random fading and masking effects.
A little messy but can work :)
-G
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I think part of the original effect is that letters change in-place. So I'd prepare a loop of all 26 letters in a switch layer. - but you can over-complicate the whole thing as much as you want.
Telemacus

Re: Matrix Text Effect

Post by Telemacus »

Sorry to bring this up again after 5 (!!) years, but if someone has an AS file on this that he can share, I'd be very, very thankful.
I'm currently preparing some videos and I'd like the intro to have this background effect.
SJHooks

Post by SJHooks »

Wow, I haven't been on this forum for quite some time, but luckily my email still sends me notifications. Sure brings back memories.

Anyways, I do have an old attempt that I gave at the matrix text effect, so I can provide that (rendering took forever though): http://www.mediafire.com/download/s7d7b ... ffect.anme

It's an old Anime Studio Pro 5 file, so I'm sorry if it doesn't work with more up to date versions of anime studio. Basically, I created a vector layer for each letter of the alphabet, all stashed in a particle folder. I set the whole thing up so that the letters would fly out, single file, evenly spaced, at random, etc. I put that particle folder into another group folder, and created an animated, looping mask with boxes that were a gradient of semi-transparency, making the bottom most letter the most colorful and the adjacent top letters more faded. I put THAT into another particle folder that would drop these columns of text across the screen at random, and there you go. Study the file, if you can - it can explain better than I'm able to.

Here's a short video I rendered from the file: http://mfi.re/watch/5kajw3zwqoc2pge/Mat ... Effect.avi

If you want specific words to be spelled out vertically by the dropping letters, your best bet is to create a switch layer that loops the appropriate letters, then put that in a particle layer that drops the letters at appropriate intervals, velocities, etc. I guess then you could add a frame-based motion blur, and you'd have the same dropping letter effect with fading, except this time you can spell out what you want with it.

Best wishes.
Telemacus

Post by Telemacus »

Ok, that explains why I couldn't find it! :)

Thanks a lot for that. :wink:
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

New matrix text effect.
And a closer look at a single line:

9.5 file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/536 ... effect.zip
Warning, this file takes forever to render.
Last edited by synthsin75 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Telemacus

Post by Telemacus »

I hadn't even seen this!
That's absolutely brilliant Synth!

By the way, I couldn't download the file from filedropper.com. Any other links available?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I've updated the above link.