What does "Extra Smooth Images" export actually do

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mkelley

What does "Extra Smooth Images" export actually do

Post by mkelley »

It might be a case of closing the barn door after the horses got out, but now that I've finished rendering the 90 minutes I needed for our show I realized I didn't use "Extra Smooth Images" on the export.

I've always used this in the past, but quite frankly even on a large (9 foot HD projection screen) screen I didn't notice any particular problems or lack of quality. Now, I use no fancy fills, no gradients, and almost zero shadows or shading effects.

I guess what I'm asking is do any of the experts here think I should re-render everything? I do want the highest quality (we are doing widescreen but not HD here, as the final output is on "normal" DVD) but it will take about 10 hours to do it all again (I still have the time since the deadline is Thursday but I have things I'd much rather do, like get healthy :>)
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

I assume that relates to imported images used? if you've not used PNGs or any raster images then it wouldn't make a difference...

(i dont know for sure though?)
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

This option only applies to Image layers - it has no effect on vector layers at all. For Image layers, what it does is render the layer at twice its normal size, then downsample it before compositing with the rest of the scene. In other words, it does 2x2 antialiasing for Image layers.
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Thanks, Mike, for clearing this up (should be in the online manual, though).

Now I won't worry about (the only use I have for image layers is for tracing, positioning).
DK

Post by DK »

Heheh....I was just about to post the same question mkelley....lucky I searched first. It would be great to be able to control the level of antializing AS performs on a vector layer though.

D.K