Colorpencil Effect on Anime Studio

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

AMIN

Colorpencil Effect on Anime Studio

Post by AMIN »

hi every body
i need help ....i would like to add colorpencil effect on character( i managed it byadding image texture) but i want to animating it (using nosy fill and outline).....
so first of all i added brush( the png format draw on photoshop using adobe brush texture ) on brush folder ..it works!! but can't see the true color of it .....just the color on the line color....plz help me
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Did you render a frame to check the result? (F5) Lots of effects only show up in the render, not in the work view.
AMIN

RENDER!

Post by AMIN »

HI TANX FOR REPLY
...YEAH I WATCHED THE RENDER ( THE LAST PROJECT THAT I HAVE DONE WERE FULL OF TEXTURE....)CHECK ON THIS LINK:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adp9kmNmQwM
......... BUT I WOULD LIKE TO SHOW EXACTLY THE EFFECT OF COLORPENCIL THAT I DRAW... FOR EXAMPLE ON ADOBE PHTOSHOP OR HAND DRAWING
I THINK THIS ABILITY CAN MAKE BY SCRIPT
SO I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO NEW VERSION OF AS PERHAPS WILL MAKE THE WAY ON IT!!! :roll:
human

Post by human »

What nice animation in the link . . . but the video quality was SO bad.

For pencil effects... could you render your Anime Studio animation to bitmap frames, and then use photo/paint software such as Photoshop, Painter, etc, to add art media effects?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

(The video quality was so bad that I only saw artefacts - sorry, can't judge any line quality from that)

Pencil effects are tricky. Basically you have two different approaches:
1. Have a small bitmap of a pencil tip and copy it along your lines. That's the way AS and PS work.
2. Use a paper structure (a greyscale bitmap image) which determines the pixels your pencil can colour. This is the way TVP and Painter work.

Some programs can go even further. In TVP I can combine both methods and even have a stack of different pencil tips which will be used randomly or ruled by pencil pressure.

The problem is to make sure the method even works in animation. TVP is a bitmap program with none of AS' tweening abilities, so I have the convincingly real pencil look, but must draw every frame by hand. AS can be very fast for animation, but the pencil effect is only rudimentary.

I made some tests recently which combined a selfmade brush with an animated outline. The effect was quite nice. The tricky part is always to combine your effects in a way that they work together in the end. The animated outlines I use may not work well with a texture image, since this image isn't changing with the line. But having a static line always gives the animation a more "cutout" look. When I work in TVP, I always curse at the paper structure because it is the same in every frame, thus giving any animation an unwanted AfterFX filter look. Overall working with textures in a non-boring way is always more work than with flat colours.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Just did some tests.

You can have a paper structure type effect in AS as well. Just import a PNG with the paper structure in the alpha channel and define this as "add to mask, but keep invisible".

Now comes the bonus treat: you can have a "living" texture as well! Prepare a video clip with different textures in each frame and save it with millions+ colours and the PNG codec. Import into AS, define as a mask as before. AS recognises the transparency in the video and uses it as the mask. The video can be a short loop of just a few frames, AS will loop it if the scene is longer.

I would post the result if the clip weren't that big (6MB). Maybe I do some smaller versions.

human: Of course you could combine several programs. I would export each character separately on transparent background and import them all into TVP as separate layers. In TVP I can use a layer as its own mask, so I could deliberately add pencil shadows and other effects easily.
AMIN

Post by AMIN »

HI SLOWIGER
THANX FOR HELP .....
BUT SOME STUPID QUASTIONS :oops:
HOW CAN I EXPORT VIDEO CLIP WITH PNG CODEC AND MILLION COLORS FROM AS?!YOU MEAN EXPORT AS A QUICKTIME FORMAT?(COMPRESSION TYPE ON PNG AND COMPRESS ON MILLIONS OF COLOR?
I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO LOOK AT UR VIDEO SAMPLE!!!
SORRY ABOUT QUALITY OF OUR ANIMATION U CAN LOOK THE BEETER FROM WWW.SOGOLFILM.COM
THANX SO MUCH
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Amin,
export from AS to QT: choose "Quicktime", then a filename, then the compression settings window opens. Choose "Compression type: PNG", then "Depth: millionsof colors+" (this is the sequence on my Mac). This will create a video file which holds a transparency (alpha) channel, which is recognised by AS and other programs.

I should have mentioned that I use several different programs besides AS, namely Photoshop and TVP (TVPaint Animation Pro). Those are bitmap-based and thus better for creating textures.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

This is so much fun.

I just had a suspicion and made another test. Yes, it works. AS can do something which not even AfterFX nor Flash can do:

Morph a video with bones.

This testing gets a bit complex. Best would be to build a whole page about the miracles you can do with brushes, textures, masks, and videos. But do I have the time for that?
montblankdesign

Nice work

Post by montblankdesign »

I decided to take a look at what you were working on. Very nice. What is it going to be used for? I love to see what other people are working on in Anime.
I do cartoons and make music. I like to make music because John K is not likely to tell me I am doing it wrong.
AMIN

Post by AMIN »

HI AND TANX SLOWTIGER
tanx for helping me ...yes that's work....
so u told that find a way to morph a video with bone ...i'm looking forward to watch it ...u have time man :wink: ....just SHOW me and teach me :lol: