Learning how to draw

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Rudiger wrote:Ah yes, the deadline is truly the procrastinator's best friend. Only as it draws near does the anxiety of not getting it done slowly replace the anxiety of it not being good enough.
Oh wow! You are like some kind of guru! A fear of inadequacy. Then of course when the anxiety overcomes the lack of faith in your ability you succeed which just continues the cycle.

The key then is to somehow tune into that creative energy without needing the anxiety.

-vern
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

heyvern wrote:The key then is to somehow tune into that creative energy without needing the anxiety.
Beer
FCSnow

Post by FCSnow »

InfoCentral Wrote:
heyvern wrote:
The key then is to somehow tune into that creative energy without needing the anxiety.

Beer
Beer doen't work well for me. My keyboard has never worked right after the last time I used it. Beer also doesn't mix well with other media; oils, acrylics, and pastels. Although with pen and ink it does create interesting patterns, it is still difficult to control. Maybe I'm not using it correctly. I have heard that some people actually drink it! :shock:

FCSnow
Precise Planning And Timing
Never Suceeds Like Dump Luck.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I stopped drinking because it makes my brain fuzzy. I can't be creative when I'm buzzed. I can't use a computer when I'm buzzed. The next day, the hangover also stifles my creativity and ability to function. When I drink it's like I have to plan at least a night and a day where I'm not fully functional as an artist. I still occasionally have a drink... every 4 to 6 months on average.

;)

-vern
toonertime

dranking

Post by toonertime »

i stopped booze last May after
@42 years of drinking!

Clarity of mind is a novelty for me!
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

The last time I smoked pot was 25 years ago in the car pool on the way to art school.

I got so paranoid I thought every passenger on the subway was working for the government and spying on me. Then I stood motionless in front of a Dunkin Donuts window for several minutes because I thought it was an automatic door exit to the street. My fellow car poolers/classmates had to drag me away.

I haven't touched the stuff since. My drugs of choice now are nicotine and caffeine... and red bull... and those energy boosters in the tiny plastic bottles... and the occasional aspirin... I take AirBorne during flu season.

;)

-vern
FCSnow

Post by FCSnow »

Heyvern Wrote:
I got so paranoid I thought every passenger on the subway was working for the government and spying on me.
You weren't paranoid. YOU WERE BEING WATCHED! If you're annoyed and I'm annoyed, does that make us a para-noids?

FCSnow
Precise Planning And Timing
Never Suceeds Like Dump Luck.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I got kicked in my "para-noids" once. ;)

-vern
Mark Bremmer

Post by Mark Bremmer »

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you. :)
I have a dysfunctional need to create images and animations.
- - - -
Anime Studio Pro tutorials are here: www.markbremmer.com
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

Yeah, caffeine is my performance enhancer of choice too.

By the way, have you guys seen these pictures of a spider web exposed to different types of drugs?

http://www.trinity.edu/jdunn/spiderdrugs.htm

What gets me is that the caffeine one is probably the scariest looking of the bunch.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Rudiger wrote: By the way, have you guys seen these pictures of a spider web exposed to different types of drugs?
That is an inaccurate test. What should be tested are the bug catching properties of the webs. They are judging the quality of the webs based on form over function. For all we know the bugs would be confused by the unusual webs and get caught.

-vern
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

heyvern wrote: That is an inaccurate test. What should be tested are the bug catching properties of the webs. They are judging the quality of the webs based on form over function. For all we know the bugs would be confused by the unusual webs and get caught.
Heh-heh, I agree. The caffine one is certainly the most artistic and eye-catching. Maybe we should get that spider a Latte Grande and a copy of AnimeStudio, and see what the little blighter can do!
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

I had alcohol last night for the first time in about 2 months. I don't feel like working today.
dm

Post by dm »

What an interesting path this thread has taken.

I believe the toxicity of caffeine and alcohol is well understood. What it does to a creature of a completely different taxonomic order probably bears little value relative to what it does to us. I used to feed the local spiders coffee in an attempt to get them to catch more pesky bugs. It doesn't work. They're worthless after a cup of coffee. What really sucks is when you get stuck behind a line of spiders at Starbucks. It's almost worth leaving, and going another block to try another Starbucks*.

About drawing: I recommend a commitment to drawing something every day. Avoid looking at the paper when you draw, and don't worry about what it looks like. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. The result doesn't matter. It's the action of drawing that matters. You're learning to attach your hand to your brain. You don't even have to draw what you see. You can just try to draw lines or circles. How you draw is your 'style'. Take advantage of it.

-dm

* (yeah, I know-it was a long way to go for a poor pay-off. sorry)
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I read somewhere that early primates actually spun webs to catch prey. When man finally discovered the coffee bean, nicotine and other naturally occurring mind altering elements we slowly lost this ability.

;)

(I didn't really read that. Thought I should mention that in case someone tries to quote it in a school research paper or something.)

-vern