Panel arranger (save your panel layout)

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

multicereal

Panel arranger (save your panel layout)

Post by multicereal »

It's not quite LUA, but i read LUA doesn't offer this ability...

I made two exe programs to arrange the anime studio panels (using AutoHotKey). One to save your layout and one to arrange your panels the way you saved them.

Check this blog post for more details.

It supports dual monitors. But it has only been tested on Windows XP, using Anime Studio Pro 5. It will not work with moho...

I included the sourcecode for those interested in adapting it any further.

Does anyone know if it's possible to launch exe files from LUA? That way this arranger could be run from within anime studio. and could even be launched on startup. that'd be cool! i tried something like os.execute but i got a little stuck..
Genete

Post by Genete »

You can call external applications using lua in AS. See this thread.

viewtopic.php?t=3507

In the download page of fazek there is a front end for mplayer. Check it out and see how it works.
Don't ask me how it works. I have no idea. :)
chucky

Post by chucky »

Phew thanks so much cereal, works great for my two monitors! :D
I was getting a bit cheesed with the way anime was opening. :wink:
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

That's awesome, Thanks Mr Cereal!

Just out of interest,
could you use this to store more than one layout?

Is there something similar for Mac?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Just out of interest,
could you use this to store more than one layout?
Madrobot,

You could save alternate settings by creating folders for each different setting in the same folder of the Panel arranger exe files called "alternate settings_01, alternate settings_02" or something. Save different settings and place them in the folder. then just drag those out to the main folder and run the arranger.

Kind of a kludgy solution but it works. I am looking at autohotkey to see if the layout files could be named with number extensions so you could "pick" a layout. Maybe multicereal has already thought of this or can let me know if it's possible. I am adding the Lua Console window to my list. I like to keep it on the smaller monitor so it's out of the way.

-------

Great tool.

Until recently I didn't have a need for it but now I have dual monitor set up for my PC only (single big monitor for the Mac. Hit a key and both monitors switch to the pc).

I think something very similar might be done with Applescript for the mac but I would have to play around with it when I get a chance. I don't have a lot of Applescript experience but would like to give it a shot. Applescript is very simple and I use to know it fairly well but it was limited to what could be done. If the application targeted had no Applescript "hooks" built in then there wasn't much you could do with it.

I plan to get another KVM switch so I can have multiple monitors on the mac or pc and have any combination of the two systems and two monitors. I just need to figure out how to hook this up with another kvm switch. Once I get that set up I will definately need a Mac option for the window set up.

-vern
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

Great stuff thanks Vern

Cludgy sure but it will work which is great
Now I can save layouts for laptop solo, laptop with 2nd monitor

.. and hopefully some day Mac with 2nd monitor

Keep us posted how you go with the Mac!

Cheers
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

It doesn'twork for me, not as it should.
I'm working with an Ibm tablet and another monitor.
To use the tablet in both monitors, I use the microsoft software Extended desktop for tablet pc, a software which let you to have a little window which works as a wacom on the main monitor to control the second one.
when I save and load the panel arranger, it arrange AS windows, but just in the main monitor, which is totally satured.

Am I doing something wrong?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Ok, I'm trying to get it work, but I can't. Panel Arranger just move the principal AS window, but not the rest of them (as style, actions, timeline, tools, etc).

Am I doing something wrong?

pd: my idea is to use the tool created by synth to open an external application and link it to panel arranger.
I have two panel arrangers installed in my computer (in different folders), in one of them I saved my windows arranged for drawing and in the other I saved my windows positions ordered to animate. I want to add two shortcuts to open each arranger depending what I want do, but nothing seems to work (using the tool or opening panel arranger by myself).

have somebody an idea of what's going on?
thanks.