Complex point selection

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

synthsin75

Complex point selection

Post by synthsin75 »

Just ran into a problem selecting points in a very complex mesh. I set up plenty of point groups in anticipation of needing to select using the 'select group' drop down, but it seems my model is too complex even for that.

I'll have to do a lot of zooming and selecting to add everything I need to the selection.

I was wondering if somehow an 'add to selection' option could be added to the point selection tool options. Or maybe the shift modifier applying also to the 'select group' selection method?

Any other workarounds or advise would be appreciated.
DK

Post by DK »

I'll back that one for sure as I have needed to do this on several occasions. Instead I have had to reselect a new set of points each time I wanted to add new points to an existing group which really defeats the purpose of having this function in the first place. It would be great to add and delete point selections to groups that you already have set up. Nice suggestion sythsin75.

Cheers
DK
Genete

Post by Genete »

Hey! it is easy!

Just select the old group (it would select the current points of the group) and with shift then select what you want to add to that group. Then press the "Create" button again with the same name!!. It would store the old and new points to the group :D

-G
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

You know if you select a group and then select more points to add to it you just need to hit the "Create" button again and it adds those points to the current group.

Unless I'm missing something you sort of have what you're asking for already. I could be missing something though.

The only difference I see is the extra step of clicking that button.

-vern
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Great minds think alike Genete!!

;)

-vern
DK

Post by DK »

Oops....thanks guys...always wondered how to do that :oops:

D.K
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Heyvern wrote:Unless I'm missing something you sort of have what you're asking for already. I could be missing something though.
No, you misunderstand guys. What I want is an easy way to add selection groups to each other. The whole point of using groups is to make complex meshes easier to find. If I have a large number of points I need to add to a selection, I have to zoom in and find them among the points I don't need selected. It's complex enough that I can't easily marquee or lasso shift select.

I guess there's no excuss for good planning. :roll: I'll need to set point groups and sub-groups of these.

I still think it would be awesome if you could select a group and then somehow add a second (third,etc) group to the selection. :wink:
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

synthsin75 wrote:I still think it would be awesome if you could select a group and then somehow add a second (third,etc) group to the selection. :wink:
oh, yes, I have had the same wish. It would be cool.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Ahhh!

The light bulb has turned on over my head!

I thought this might be what you meant. The problem is that currently the point group menu allows only one selection at a time. It would require a total rewrite of that code for the tool.

Putting the groups in a text list would be simple enough (I did it with my custom bone select tool) but trying to figure out how to add points together... hmm... something to think about.

It might not be too hard actually... <sigh> my list of script ideas is getting so big I will probably forget this one... <sigh>

I wish we could submit a feature request to the Intelligent Designer and have the day extended 6 or 8 hours.
;)

-vern