Help with removing excess "image"

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

fullmetalnoodle

Help with removing excess "image"

Post by fullmetalnoodle »

Hellos! I know this is a 100% noob question, and yet I ask anyway..... How does one remove the extra/undesired "white" image parts around the part of the image that [you] want?? I'm sorry if this was answered before/totally stupid. :oops: thank you for your time!
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Essentially you're talking about alpha masking. An image which has a mask as one of its layers (the alpha layer) will then mask in terms of other images or layers.

You can put a mask on an image in AS by using the masks function (do the tutorial for this) but you'll need to use the alpha channel of the image in question for the mask. I don't know if AS supports natively an alpha masking mode (that is to say, I don't think you can just load up an image with an alpha mask and expect it to behave properly without using the mask function) but the experts here will correct me if I'm wrong.
fullmetalnoodle

thank you!!!
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

This question is too high level, and can be answered in several ways.

Please be more concrete and tell us what problem you've encountered while creating an animation.
fullmetalnoodle

I'm sorry :oops: ;.; I meant from the image that YOU PERSONALLY import from an other program (say, a .jpeg file for example) and you have like, a character, and there is a "background" also in the picture, and you want to "cut out" the rest of the image, to just leave the character. how would I do that? (I hope that you can understand/it's more clear....)
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Learn about alpha channels as previously mentioned.

You would need to learn how to create alpha channels in the image application you use to create your images.

You could also "trace" the image in AS and create a mask using AS masking tools. It would be easier to use the image alpha.

-vern
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

heyvern wrote:You could also "trace" the image in AS and create a mask using AS masking tools. It would be easier to use the image alpha.
I don't recommend that, because it can give such a mess when you start animating...

I think it is best to remove the background (make it invisible through transparency) and crop the image to what is visible. Otherwise, the white background with bleed into the warped image, even if you mask it with vector layer(s). Also, use at least one image file per character, and don't paint them in one and the same image file.
GardenGuy

Post by GardenGuy »

Here's what I do: I bring the image into a photo editing program that lets me save in PNG format with transparency. (I use a light version of Photoshop, but there are many other editing programs you can use).

Photo editing programs usually have a "corral" type selection tool - looks like a rodeo lasso with dashes for the rope. This lets you select an area of similar color that can be any shape. In your case you would select all of the white area around the image you are trying to get rid of. Keep adding to your selection (usually by holding the Ctrl or Shift key) until you have it all selected.

I then go to Edit at the top of the program and select the "Inverse Selection" option. This will now reverse your selection so you are selecting the object not the white background. (I do it this way because then I don't have to trace anything and I get a perfect cut out of the image even if it has many colors in it).

Next I select Copy and copy the inverse selection. Without closing anything I create a New blank picture that is the same dimensions as your original picture and then I select to create it with transparent background. I then Paste the image I Copied into the new picture and voila you have the image over a transparent background (it is transparent even though it will look white or checkered). In my program I choose to Save to Web which just gives me the PNG format (with alpha channel) to save in and will keep my transparent background. (make sure the Transparent background box is checked in the save options) I then import that image into AS and when you render you won't see any white around your image.

Quick and easy!
fullmetalnoodle

ohmygosh!!! Thank you all! ^////^ Unfortunately, I have no photo-editing programs... :cry: your effort is wonderfully appreciated!! And, if I ever get one, I shall put all of your suggestions to use. Thank you again.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I use a free photo editing program called Gimp, see here for more details:
fullmetalnoodle

You are so thoughtful!!! Thank you a bunch, Rasheed! I am downloading it as I write. It looks awfully interesting ^.^