Experience with a Tablet PC

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

JCook

Post by JCook »

The second thing I did, to provide a really "slow" paper like texture is to get a piece of "single matte" mylar - the kind I used to use in pen and ink drafting - available at the rapidly vanishing brand of small art store - cut it to the exact size of the screen - tack it at the four corners with thin, double-sided tape, matte side up. This surface, combined with the use of the pastel blending stick, is about as "slow" as it gets. I only use this on the final inking pass and can achieve super steady lines and see enough of the icons and text within the program to get by. I wouldn't want to work through this haze all the time, but for finished line work it cannot be beat. It's a very inexpensive solution which also works on a regular Wacom tablet surface.
I've always found the Wacom tablet surface to be way to slippery for accurate drawing control, and your solution with the drafting mylar is exactly what I've done. I have it on my tablet all the time, and it gives me the right feel and control for drawing that I want. I thought at first about actually taking some sandpaper to the surface of my tablet, but they mylar works perfectly.

jack
chucky

Post by chucky »

.... ipad!!!Have you seen it yet? The real tablet is finally here!!!! http://www.apple.com/ipad/ !!!!!

:wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol:
Just kidding.................................................................

So can you see through the mylar on the tablet , properly?
I guess I could alternatively put some kind of cap on the nib.

Ok here's the thing, my tablet ran like a two legged dog and I kept saying it was like a car that had been 'chipped' to run at less than optimal performance.
I have mucked with all the performance and power settings , but to no avail.
Anyway long story short.....

It was hobbled in the BIOS!

I changed the settings in there ( didn't know about that) and now it works just fine. After doing some customising of apps so I didn't need to press ctrl, to undo the onscreen keyboard isn't so bad, though I might get a teensy extra keyboard to use when in tablet mode- ( how freeeking stupid is that?)

Anyway the tablet is great for those location boarding jobs- no more "napkin" thumbnails. I just want a great big awesome one.
C'mon mac where's my ipad? :wink: :lol:
chucky

Post by chucky »

Actually weirdly, after posting this up I googled 'ipad' and it seems that that must be the inevitable name for an apple tablet.
Some people have even gone to the length of mocking up such a product digitally. Hmmmm mouthwateringly scrumptious- check it out.

http://factoryjoe.com/blog/2007/11/05/a ... pad-touch/
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

Modbook

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ModBook

Macbook with the screen chopped off and replaced with a tablet screen.
I want one.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Old news madbot, this is a mod yes, nothing more.
Maybe next year the real thing will appear with multitouch and other goodies.
meltedtoons

Post by meltedtoons »

i prefer a wacom cintique
aliahlewis

Post by aliahlewis »

hi sorry for digging up the old thread. But I wanted to say thanks as I got some nice tutorial which I suppose going to help in my upcoming project. One thing I would like to tell you that when I had read the article I thought we should write about what does we experience with our tablets and give some reviews on it but it was quite different.. But it was not useless so thank for making my first visit fruitful. :)
gswallow

Tablet PC vc Wacom

Post by gswallow »

First tried a tablet under Mac OS/9. NoFso good and the tablet I had got no driver when OS/X came Out. Company went be|lly up. Gave up as I wasnot going to the $ for a Wacom. Got another for OS/X that was so-so. Maybe I'd been set off by the no driver already.

Fially decided to look into a Wacom. Tried the Cintiq and see why Wacom prices are so high, but I still don't haue $1,000 for a litt12in Citiq. Nore for more for a ModBook. Ok, so checked "Hacintosh" forums about building a Laptop to run OSX86. The IBM X61 came up and I startedshopping. The I found out the Toshiba Portege could be made to run OSX86.

Jumping to the ehd, I ended upbuying a Portege M200 with base & 2gb RAM foronly $250. Added Bluetooth, Firewire,and a work in case andstill under $300. Added "TightVNC" and run 0S/X desktop fromanywhere with my Windows Tablet.

Some good some bad, but installed Manga Studio EX 4 and started to get excited. Now I have installed Anime Studio Pro 7 and am in Heaven. 12in screen is ok for my drawing key-frames. I move the files to my PowerMac to complete the set.

Fially? Get a tablet PC and do more than you could with just a graphia tab1et.
God Bless,

GregS <><