AS 5.6 available?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Manu

AS 5.6 available?

Post by Manu »

According to this article on Macworld, version 5.6 with layer re-ordering and a new image fill function is now available as a free upgrade.

But it looks like the news got out a bit too early since I can't seem to find any download on the SmithMicro/eFrontier website.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Most mags have a 3 month lead time. If you want to have something to be published you tell them 3 months ahead.

Dale
Manu

Post by Manu »

This is an online publication, I doubt it needs a three month lead time. Someone at SmithMicro must have been a bit over zealous.

It doesn't say in the article that 5.6 is due to be released, it says that 5.6 has been released.

Still, it's nice to hear it will be a free upgrade to existing users.
PatrickS

Post by PatrickS »

I can't wait until it's finally there.
JCook

Post by JCook »

Let's hope it lives up to the expectations that everyone will have of it. And I think those will be huge. I'm looking forward to it. Glad to hear it will be free.

Jack
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

If it's just a point release I wouldn't expect too much of it at all. Perhaps a feature or two added, but mostly bug fixes.

Now 6.0 should be huge.
Manu

Post by Manu »

mkelley wrote:If it's just a point release I wouldn't expect too much of it at all.
Well, 5.6 should add animatable layer reordering. Not too shabby.
fugdabug

AS6.5 and other downloads...

Post by fugdabug »

I just within the past week have been trying to get the new 'e-frontier' site (with the SmithMicro header) to work... no such luck. When I write 'tech-support' I get a letter from them informing me that I need to write 'e-frontier' for support of AS5.5... and when I go to the e-frontier site (now the SmithMicro site) I get SmithMicro tech support and another response and etc., etc., etc.,
Pretzel logic is their response.
I am (the least to say) somewhat in doubt that the takeover by SmithMicro is going to be good for anyone seeking AnimeStudio, MangaStudio or other former e-frontier offerings, tech-support. I have tried (and will try again later) to obtain a download from the site... it is Tuesday the 26th of Feb... and I have been trying for 6 days.
I am not happy with this development in the least.
"'member boys and girls,...mr. Grenade is our friend and will protect us! BUT when we pull the pin on mr. Grenade, we want him over there with our enemies far awaaaay from us,.. because he isn't our friend any more!!!" -sum flung dung the wise.
Rhoel

Re: AS6.5 and other downloads...

Post by Rhoel »

fugdabug wrote:I just within the past week have been trying to get the new 'e-frontier' site (with the SmithMicro header) to work... no such luck. When I write 'tech-support' I get a letter from them informing me that I need to write 'e-frontier' for support of AS5.5... and when I go to the e-frontier site (now the SmithMicro site) I get SmithMicro tech support and another response and etc., etc., etc.,
Pretzel logic is their response.
If you check out the render bug thread on Bug Reports, you will see I had similar problems with SM. A telephone call to Smiths revealed not all the functions from eFrontier have been transfered yet.

using the same techsupport contact email that smithmicro advertise but change the server to e-frontier.com works - Chris is still on support there. If all else fails, ringing them (SM) works too.

There are several emails of mine floating around customer service about my thoughts on acquisitions companies whose policy is profit before customer base. Seems to have niggled a few people there so hopefully the point has been noted. One of the complaints I made to customer service was the way the forum and regular users had been kept in the dark over developments such as the manual release. That has been put forward to the Suits.

If 5.6 is due, it would be nice to learn of it here first.

Rhoel
dazza101

Post by dazza101 »

There's a complete press release posted at at Designer Today, with more details but which also raises a couple of questions.

It is dated today, but there's no sign of the release on the Smith Micro website; it directs you to http://mysmithmicro.com at the end, yet there's no mention of AS at that location (yet); and most concerning, it only refers to AS 5.6, not AS Pro 5.6 (including its discussion of pricing). All very odd!

SMITH MICRO ANNOUNCES THE AVAILABILITY OF ANIME STUDIO 5.6

Press Release 2/26/08

Smith Micro Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: SMSI) Compression and Consumer Group announced today that it will launch an update to its popular 2D animation and cartoon creation software, Anime Studio 5.6. Anime Studio 5.6 is an award-winning animation program that allows users to create 2D movies, cartoons, anime or cut-out animations. The newly enhanced version includes animated layer reordering, updates to image warping for the texture fill effect and new functionality for path animation, allowing users to easily control the movement of animated objects.

With Anime Studio 5.6, users can design their own desktop-animated shorts in the style of South Park and Jib Jab, or use Anime Studio to produce full-length animation for film, video or streaming over the web. Anime Studio allows digital enthusiasts at home and professionals in the studio to bring their imagination to life.

"We're thrilled to announce this update to Anime Studio, Smith Micro's fun, quick and affordable way to create 2D animations, for everyone from first-time animators and hobbyists to design professionals," said Steve Yatson, Senior Director Graphics Solutions, Smith Micro Software, Inc. "We are committed to enhancing and expanding Anime Studio into a premier 2D design solution and believe that these updates, such as the texture fill effect and animated layer ordering, take Anime Studio into an entirely new league of design possibilities."

Anime Studio utilizes a unique and revolutionary "bone rigging" system normally found only in 3D graphics software that streamlines the animation workflow, reduces production time and saves money by requiring a smaller team of animators than is normally used in animation.

New Features of Anime 5.6:

Animated Layer Reordering - Starting in version 5.6, Anime Studio lets you reorder the 2D layers in a scene as much as you want during the course of an animation. This makes it easy to simulate 3D effects, such as objects moving in front of and behind each other.

Path Animation – You can now control the movement of a layer using the "Translate Layer" tool by directly clicking and dragging on its path. This makes it easy to see and control where a layer is going to move over time.

Image Warping for the Texture Fill Effect - Anime Studio lets you assign an image file to be used as a texture to fill in vector shapes. Previously, these images would simply be drawn on the canvas in a fixed orientation, but the vector shape would move independently. Now these "Texture" images automatically warp with the vector shape as it gets moved and bent by the bones system, allowing for more realistic texturing of objects in Anime Studio 5.6.

Pricing, Availability and Requirements:

The MSRP for Anime Studio 5.6 is $49.99. Existing customers can download a free upgrade to version 5.6. The application is available from the Smith Micro web store at graphics.smithmicro.com/go/anime, as well as through popular retailers, catalogs and distribution partners worldwide.

System Requirements:

Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows ME, 2000 (Service Pack 2 or higher), Windows XP Home/Professional/Tablet PC Edition, Windows Vista

500 MHz Intel Pentium or equivalent processor, 256 MB RAM minimum, 100 MB free hard disk space, 16 bit color (65,536 colors) display or above 1024x768 resolution, CD-ROM (for physical version of application)

Mac OS X v10.4+ (Universal Binary), PowerPC G5/G4 Processor 500MHz or above 256 MB RAM minimum, 100 MB free hard disk space, 16 bit color (65,536 colors) display or above 1024x768 resolution, CD-ROM (for physical version of application)

To learn more about Anime Studio 5 and our complete line of software, visit: http://mysmithmicro.com.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Maybe 5.6 Pro will have MORE features! Don't want to release them both at the same time.

:)

Sorry... I am the the eternal optimist. My glass is always half full and I try to keep is covered so it won't evaporate.

-vern
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Any news is good news. I like the fact that this upgrade is going to be free for current version users.
blacksunproject

Post by blacksunproject »

An Anime Studio Pro 5.6 upgrade?

I told you so.

I hope they post it soon.

This programs rules!

Gustavo
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Animated layer reordering would save me a whole load of trouble with fiddly duplicating layers and visibility.
EwanG

Post by EwanG »

Well, I don't know what to make of this, and not sure if it's related or not. However, I just went to order AS Pro and added on the "Rose" pack as well for the tutorial features. It took my card info, but now the order shows as "Queued", and I received no DL link or Serial Number. Tried both of the support links, and got an email back both times saying they have "high volumes" of requests and they will try to get back to me soon.

If you can't even process your orders in a timely manner, what is the likelihood of your company surviving long enough to give technical support?

Sigh... figures that the problems I'd run into wouldn't be technical :D

Edit - FWIW I have confirmed that the charge is on the card at my account. So I HAVE paid, I just haven't received...