"Car going behind the hill" effect? Help, I'm new

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

macbookio

"Car going behind the hill" effect? Help, I'm new

Post by macbookio »

I'm trying to make an animation where a car goes over one hill, then behind another, then over that one, but i cant figure out how to set it so that the car goes behind the hill first, then in front of the hill. Would i use a mask or something??
DK

Post by DK »

Just use layers. Place your car on one layer, then place a hill on a second layer but place this hill layer at the bottom under the car layer .Then place the second hill on a layer over the top of the car layer so the car goes behind it.

D.K
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

from what i understand you want the car to dissapear behind the hill - so you'll need to have a hidden copy of the hill layer above the car which you turn visibility on at the point the car is at the top of the hill...

D
Galanx

Post by Galanx »

Like DK said, it depends all how u sort the layer list.
Example:
If the car layer is first, and the hill layer second, the hill will be behind. But if you want the car behind, just drag the car layer at the bottom and put the hill layer first.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

It might be tricky to pull off if the car is "half behind" and "half in front".

-vern
rplate

Re: "Car going behind the hill" effect? Help, I'm

Post by rplate »

macbookio wrote:I'm trying to make an animation where a car goes over one hill, then behind another, then over that one, but i cant figure out how to set it so that the car goes behind the hill first, then in front of the hill. Would i use a mask or something??
Here's my animation:
http://homepage.mac.com/rplate/iMovieTheater29.html

And... Here's the Anime file
http://homepage.mac.com/rplate/FileSharing28.html

The Anime file will take a bit of time to open depending on your processor because, the car in the scene is a "3D".obl file

I split the background into two parts in Photoshop Elements 4.0

There are two "hiWayfront.png" duplicate files. One is placed above the car but below the "hiWayBACK.png". The other is placed below the "ROADcar.obj"

In frame 24 the car layer is simply being translated up from under the "hiWayfront.png" layer. ASP tweens it automatically.
Then at frame 24 I turned visibility off for the top "hiWayfront.png".
Once the car is over the hill it is in front of the "hiWayfront.png"

If you don't want to use a 3D .obj file it may get complicated changing the perspective of the vehicle.

For that, I just used the >option/alt< key along with the layer translate tool to change the z depth and thus the illusion the car is moving closer to you.

I hope this helps.
DK

Post by DK »

Hehe...well it goes to show how differently people can interpret a message. I thought macbookio meant the car was travelling in a side view from left to right across the screen going in front of and behind hills. Never once did i think to take the post as meaning this car could be travelling towards the camera. Nice one rplate!

D.K
rplate

Post by rplate »

DK wrote:Hehe...well it goes to show how differently people can interpret a message. I thought macbookio meant the car was travelling in a side view from left to right across the screen going in front of and behind hills....
D.K
DK

Naw. That would be too easy. He wouldn't ask about masking for that, would he?
Thanks for your input when I do something on the forum.
I live in Minnesota and winter has arrived in full force. So I'll be on the forum a little more often.