MR Curve Tool 4.1

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

SimplSam

Re: MR Curve Tool 2.4 BETA

Post by SimplSam »

KuzKuz wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:03 pm This is strange, as I added the ability to delete selected points using the Del key.
Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce this. Is there any additional information?
Can anyone else confirm that they are unable to delete points?
OK partly my bad. It does not work when the curve-edit is still active (i.e. before ending the curve).
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Quickly tested Esc to drop...works great! Thanks Eugene.

I tested this in 12.5, but will test in 13.5.5 later today. I should post my notes here as some of the info might be helpful to other users. Will post after I get home from work tonight.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Greenlaw wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:20 pm Quickly tested Esc to drop...works great! Thanks Eugene.

I tested this in 12.5, but will test in 13.5.5 later today. I should post my notes here as some of the info might be helpful to other users. Will post after I get home from work tonight.
Any reason for using 12.5 instead of 13.5.5? Just curious.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Daxel wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:25 pm Any reason for using 12.5 instead of 13.5.5? Just curious.
It's what we have at work. For production use, big studios tend to stick with previous releases of software for reliability, so we haven't officially upgraded to 13.5.5 yet.

Of course, 13.5.5 has been out for some time now and, IMO, it's pretty darn reliable. (I have my own license on my laptop.)

I need to talk to someone about this. :D
KuzKuz

Post by KuzKuz »

1. Added the ability to control Bezier handles for the selected point
2. Added Keep selection option
3. Bug fixes

Maybe I'll also add a transform box so that you can control several selected points at once, and then I'll release this script as version 3.0.

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jafrrl ... sp=sharing
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

KuzKuz wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:37 am Maybe I'll also add a transform box so that you can control several selected points at once, and then I'll release this script as version 3.0.
Wow, this sounds like MR Curve Tool is on its way to becoming the 'all-in-one' tool we've been dreaming of!

Thanks again and please keep up the excellent work Eugene.

I have a question: I've been using Shift+Alt and drag to select points to be able to move/adjust points after I've dropped the tool. Is this the correct/preferred way to select points? I just want to be sure I'm not missing something more direct.
KuzKuz

Post by KuzKuz »

Thank you for testing and providing feedback, but for now, I would like to ask you to wait for the next version, as I will be adding the ability to transform multiple selected points at once.
This may change how point selection works.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Sounds good!

I'm seeing one odd behavior: sometimes I cannot extend a curve or insert a point in the curve after I've dropped the curve, and sometimes this works fine.

I was going to report this earlier but then it started working so I assumed this was a random glitch. But now I'm seeing the issue again. I'm not sure what the conditions are that change the behavior. For now, when this happens I switch back to Add Points to do the edit, and then switch back to MR Curve.

I will try to explore this tonight and post any new info when I have it.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

A workaround for anyone who needs it: If you have trouble extending an existing curve, try enabling Auto-weld and work backwards toward the end of the curve.

Edit: you may not need to do this; see Eugene's explanation for proper use below.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KuzKuz

Post by KuzKuz »

Greenlaw wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:57 pm A workaround for anyone who needs it: If you have trouble extending an existing curve, try enabling Auto-weld and work backwards toward the end of the curve.
In the current version, in order to continue the curve, it must not be selected. Try deselecting, maybe that's the reason.
If there are selected points - the transformation mode works, if not - drawing.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Ah! Thank you Eugene. That explains why it worked only sometimes for me...I was doing it differently each time.

When I do it correctly (with no selection,) it works fine! (Duh.) :wink:
KuzKuz

Re: MR Curve Tool 3.0 BETA

Post by KuzKuz »

Hello, here is the beta for version 3.0.

1. Added the ability to weld points by dragging a point like in the Add Point Tool.

2. Added the "Show all handles" option that allows editing Bezier handles without the need to select the point itself.

3. Added the Transform Box that has the following modes: Move, Rotate, Scale, Skew, Distort. The Skew and Distort modes can be turned off if you don't need them.

4. The tool can now work in non-zero frames, but only in transformation mode, not drawing.

5. Added the ability to add points to the selection using the CTRL+Alt+Shift key combination, and the ability to remove points from the selection using the CTRL+Alt key combination.

Now I need your help with testing.

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jafrrl ... sp=sharing
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Wow! This update sounds fantastic Eugene.

Man, I really could have used the non-zero feature this week but there will be many more opportunities to use that. 😹

Will download 3.0 and test tonight.
DK

Post by DK »

Great tool Eugene! Just downloaded to test and getting this black screen whenever I try to drag either end point.

EDIT: Restarted Moho and screen is still blacking out when I select and try to drag the end points of an open curve at either end.
Cheers
D.K
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

It's late here so I only played a little with the new Beta. I wanted to confirm this is correct for version 3.0:

To insert a point between two existing points, no points should be selected. Just click where you want to insert the point or click and drag to insert and move the point.

To extend a curve, no points should be selected. Just click on an end point and continue drawing with the tool.

To move or adjust a point, you must first select at least one point using Shift+Ctrl+Alt. Once a point is selected, clicking and dragging over any point on the curve will move it. Press Ctrl and drag over a point to adjust its curvature.

So long as one point is active/selected, it's not necessary to select another point with Shift+Ctrl+Alt to move or adjust points; MR Curve will automatically switch the selection when you click on an unselected point.

To use the Transform widget, select multiple points using Shift+Ctrl+Alt and the widget will appear. This mode can be used on non-zero frames for animation just like the regular Transform Points tool.

Looking forward to giving this latest beta a proper workout as soon as I'm able to.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.