Textured 3D

(This forum has been closed. Please use the General Moho Discussion forum.)

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

Barliesque

Post by Barliesque »

My apologies for the confusion! :oops: I don't recall uploading anything other than the two versions labelled "from U3D" and "from X3D." I don't know which application this model came from, but it does load correctly over here.
If you look at the U3D OBJ file in a text editor, you'll see that most of the texture coordinates go beyond 1.0. I'm not sure if this is technically allowed in the OBJ file format
Sure it's allowed. That's how repeating tiles are generated. ...although, come to think of it, I think OpenGL doesn't allow this! I imagine you must be using OpenGL rather than DirectX, to be multi-platform. So, yes that would probably account for it. I think you can expect other DirectX based programs to write models that use UV values over 1.0
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

That's a good point about repeating textures, but the funny thing about your egg model is that I don't believe the texture is supposed to be repeating. The texture coordinates just go up to higher values for no particular reason that I can see.

By the way, Moho doesn't use OpenGl or Direct X. It uses a built-in software 3D engine.
Barliesque

Post by Barliesque »

That's a good point about repeating textures, but the funny thing about your egg model is that I don't believe the texture is supposed to be repeating.
You're right. I seem to recall experimenting with tiling it twice horizontally (looks better that way) ...but I put it back the way it was. Exploration3D must have left the UV values with those larger numbers after that.

Well, at last the mystery is solved. :D
By the way, Moho doesn't use OpenGl or Direct X. It uses a built-in software 3D engine.
Oooooo, very impressive. :)

Hmmm... I was planning on requesting a feature for 3D objects. I wonder if your engine supports multi-texturing?

The reason I'm after multi-texturing is for the ability to lightmap a 3D setting. I want to introduce you to a program called gile(s) which is a dedicated lightmapping utility. It has a very nice "cartoon" lighting feature which I made use of in a project that mixed Flash characters with these 3D settings...

I know the OBJ format doesn't support multi-texturing, so gile[s] exports two models to be layered on top of eachother. The idea is for the lightmap model to be blended with the textured model. Of course that means double the polygons--okay, but not terribly efficient in realtime.

Maybe your loader could look for a second model by the same name, but ending in "_map" and then stitch the two models together, using true multi-texturing.

What do you think?
Last edited by Barliesque on Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barliesque

Post by Barliesque »

Here's a better shot of the lighting effects I was able to create with gile[s].

This set was mostly constructed in Wings3D, by the way.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

It looks like you can get some really cool effects with gile[s] - very nice. Our 3D engine doesn't support multi-texturing, but it could possibly be added in the future.

Am I missing something, or couldn't you just combine the two textures in Photoshop, then use it as a standard texture map in Moho? Since Moho doesn't do lighting, and there's nothing dynamic going on in the textures, it sure seems like you could just combine them into one.
Barliesque

Post by Barliesque »

It looks like you can get some really cool effects with gile[s] - very nice.
It's the best lightmapper I've seen. It's got all kinds of great features, like global illumination, cartoon lighting and geometry lights. I actually used a mix of all three for this scene.
Am I missing something, or couldn't you just combine the two textures in Photoshop, then use it as a standard texture map in Moho?
Textures and lightmaps are usually different sizes, and applied to the environment completely differently. The lightmap evenly covers every polygon, while texture images, like the brick pattern in that building, may need to be tiled or repeated in other ways. Also, the lightmap image is usually much less detailed than the texture images.

So does your 3D engine have a name? Or is it a completely original library? I was curious to know how you're doing those cartoon edges around 3D objects. Will those edges eventually be anti-aliased?

I'm very eager to be able to do this kind of animation with Moho. Can this be a feature to go in with or soon after the initial release? ...Pretty please? :D

Scenery lit with gile[s] and characters animated with Moho would make an utterly superb blend!