The Chilean Mine Rescue

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Rhoel

The Chilean Mine Rescue

Post by Rhoel »

Selgin,

I know this is still a current operation and things are far from over but can I extend congratulations to your fellow countrymen on the astonishing success today ... I watched it live with a crowd of people here in Cambodia and there were cheers as the first guy broke the surface, some were even in tears. Chileans can be rightly proud of this, the remarkable result borne of coordinated team work and national resources.

The next 36 hours are going to be a tension builder: I don't think anyone is going to rest easy until the last guy is out. Then I think the biggest Chilean party in history is going to break out.

I wish the operation good luck and fair weather - what has already done can't be expressed in mere superlatives, it is something that can only be felt - this outstanding achievement has touched many worldwide.

Congratulations.

Rhoel
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Thank you, Rhoel, we all here are very happy for the freedom of that guys.

Personally, I took the decision of don't watching TV about miners' rescue. It has became in a very unpleasant reality show were every government person wants to appear to up in the polls.

I think mass media have been very evil and irresponsible. They are talking all day about miners, but about who will receive the guiness' record, the metaphysic importance of number 33 and stuff like that.

Just today have been approved a law which determines that the little amount of money private mines pays to Chile today can not be increased until the next decade. Mass media haven't talked about that.

Last week a miner died in another mine. On the last 10 years 353 miners have died. Mass media don't talk about that.

Our neighbor country, Bolivia, approved this month a law in which retirement age is reduced to everyone. Retirement age have been reduced in around ten years for people with dangerous works (miners included) and their retirement pays have been doubled. Mass media didn't talk about this and, of course, didn't propose to make a similar law here.

The owners of the collapsed mine still free and declared bankrupt. More than 300 miners now have no work and no pay. They can't even get a new work because they haven't been fired. Meanwhile, mass media talk about the metaphoric sense of fenix capsule.

Security conditions in mines still being very poor all over the country, but there is no debate about that. The authorities who approved the operation of San José mine even when they know it was very dangerous, still free and even some of them are considered heros.

Sorry, I swear you it's not I'm not happy about the miners and their freedom. It's just it's suppose this tragedies should help us to learn and correct our mistakes. Sadly, it has been huge TV show here, where government politics are using the miners to clean their own image.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

Fully agree with your points.

But politics and legal issues aside, this has been an astonishing feat of engineering and technical cooperation: NASA, several German engineering firms and technical know-how from many other countries, all worked hand in hand with the Chileans to pull off what is a historic outcome. It joins a rare list of brilliant rescues pulled off in the face of overwhelming odds. The fact it went without a hitch and the final extraction accomplished in less that 24 hours is worthy of praise: Sadly, as we have seen in China and many other countries, the number of times these mine disasters have the reverse outcome are all to frequent. I come Wales, a country littered with mines - my extended family and past generations have included those who once worked underground. Maybe that colours my view.

It is worth noting the international press has spent much air time looking at the issues you raise ... politicians milking the event, the fate of the mine and the miners now out of work, the failed safety culture and the legal process now underway which is looking at who was responsible, what actions to take. Clearly there are mine company officials and government who must answer for their dereliction of duty. Politicians have now staked reputations on getting those changes made - up to the community to make sure they are held to account.

But that is for the future.

Today, there are many around the world who have taken inspiration by the events, to re-focus on their own lives and reevaluate their own destiny, just as they did after 9/11 and other major incidents. It's a reminder too that in an age of global travel where you can be anywhere in 24 hours, there are still places which take 2 months to reach.

Personally, I wish the guys well and hope (probably in vain) the media will now allow them and more importantly their families, time to adjust to their changed world.

Despite the media circus and other defects, Chile did an amazing job. And its commendable.

Rhoel.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

A point was also made here in the UK that Chile used to be associated with Pinochet, and now it will be associated with this rescue. That has to be a positive thing.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
patricia3d

Post by patricia3d »

When a few days ago I heard this news, a unknown sadness filled in my mind, but yesterday when I heard the good news, I was so happy to hear the news.