orthographic views

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

BA

orthographic views

Post by BA »

hey Lost Marble,

how about orthographic views like in 3D studio when looking at your scene from the left, right, top, etc?

I've been getting more into the 3D layering, and using multiple views to edit the scene, but I've found that the perspective in those views is kind of weird and makes it more difficult to line things up with precision.

Wouldn't it make more sense for those views to be orthographic (ie NO perspective), or at least be able to switch to ortho from perspective mode?
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

All Right, I want to see this too! When I construct my backgrounds need this kind of view for adjust and comodity, I want, I want... ( I want all, I know... :roll: )
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

You mean like how you can do this in Moho? Click on thumbnail above for bigger view. It shows camera view, right view, back view, front view.
BA

Post by BA »

i know about the multiple views - i just wish they were orthographic - which means without perspective... this means, if you are looking at a layer from the side, it looks like a straight line as opposed to stretching into space.... makes it much easier to line things up along the 3 axes.

your project looks cool by the way.... :)
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

The problem with orthographic views in Moho is that most layers, even if they are arranged at different Z values, still face directly forward. This means that the top and side views would show you only a few lines (flat layers viewed from the side), which wouldn't be all that useful.

However, for a more complex setup, where the layers are rotated to face different directions, an orthographic view would be helpful, so maybe we should add that.
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

And then there is the situation with having objects that always face the camera in each view. How would this be represented in an orthographic view or would one have to remember to turn off the "face the camera" when viewing the orthographic view? (But then in the other views this could cause problems because then one would not see the character - just a line.)
Or would this not be a problem?

Note in graphic above how some items (no matter which view) are always facing the camera (the girl, the bugs, the flowers).
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

I think that Camera and views work separatelly and ortografic views must not affect at layers with Face to Camera activated... (I think).
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Facing the camera isn't a problem. The camera is in a certain location, and when you view the scene from the side, you're looking at it from outside the camera. The whole point of side/top/etc views is to look at the scene from something other than the camera's point of view.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

...Yes! That is that I thought 8)
BA

Post by BA »

Lost Marble wrote:This means that the top and side views would show you only a few lines (flat layers viewed from the side), which wouldn't be all that useful.

Actually, it would make it harder to see the layers for what they are, but easier to align them to each other with more precision.

More useful, I think...
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

On the 3D-type animations I have experimented with in Moho I found the best way for me to align things or place things in the 3D environment was by the numbers...view from the top, move things around with the translate layer tool, then tweak by changing the values in the layer X,Y,Z coordinates.

And when one has objects that always face the camera one has to take into consideration their space as the twirl to face the camera....one has to make sure things don´t overlap as the camera (and objects) move.