Pub Background WIP

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

I'm working on a plan for a night version of the same pub. I want this background to appear cozy and relaxed, but also... full of possibility? I think the lanterns help with the mood. But I'm not very knowledgeable about light sources. Is the light falling correctly?

In this scene, the characters will be sitting on the bench in front of the lanterns. But I want them to be clear and have good separation from the background. So I am planning to make them lighter than the main background, but darker than the lantern light as though they are getting even light from an off camera source. I also plan to have people sitting on the other side of the table, but making their face lines and fills sort of blend in with the lantern light.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

i love your daylight setting - really nice colour palette. Looks good enough for TV imo. Your night time lighting looks fine to me - i wouldn't get too caught up in getting 'correct' light cast on everything, it IS a cartoon afterall :)

Keep up the god work, the style you got going is amazing!
fracturedray

Post by fracturedray »

I think what you have will work.

My main comment is that when I think of a bar I see a dark room with several small lights here and there. I think you should consider making some areas 50% darker (corners, up in the girders under the bar table).

As for the light fall off you have it about right. But looking at photos, you may want the core of the light to be more white than yellow.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7455207@N05/3184710956/
Hi animation world.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

funksmaname--Thanks for the encouragement! Yeah, I think you're right that the lighting doesn't need to be technically perfect. I want to focus most of my energy on creating the right mood.

fracturedray--Thanks, I really like the white light idea. I think that will add to the glowy effect. I have to be careful with the shadows to keep all the areas of the room cohesive because I have everyone in the pub interacting in this scene. But I still have a lot of shadows to add so I'll experiment with the darkness.

Here's what I have so far. Are the flat fills convincing as light?

[edit: image removed]
Last edited by lwaxana on Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

I've added the white lights and some shadows.
neomarz1

Post by neomarz1 »

Wow, I love the night scene, very ambient... and yes you have a nack for finding a great color pallette. Great work... I know I've asked you this before, but have you posted any actual scenes from this series? Forgive me if you answered this, My mind has been in a fog lately. I am simply a FAN of your work. Marzout!
kphgraphics

Post by kphgraphics »

Looks really good, can't wait to see what you do with this piece.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

I have nothing to add to the thoughtful comments already posted, I think it's GREAT!
dsaenz825

Post by dsaenz825 »

Awesome work, and I love your style. 8)
I love comments for they help me improve on my weaknesses.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Thanks for your kind comments! They are very motivating.

Neomarz--So far I've only done test animation. I started an actual scene which integrates my banjo animation with the main characters, but it has no dialogue.

Dialogue has been a road block because this series is supposed to be a comedy, but when we have it all put together in the animatic, we realize that many of the jokes are complete misses. And the story drags. So I need to get the group together and work on the script some more. Makes me appreciate the really funny comedies that much more.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

A little off topic lwaxana, I find the colors between the face/arms/hands a little off. The girl on the far right looks fine but the guy sitting in front of the "bunks" sign looks like he has a T shirt on with a pinkish something on the arms and then his hands looks like he has white gloves on. I can see that the face and hands might be the same color but the pink on the arms is doing something confusing.

Stephen
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Thanks for the crit, Sbtamu! The pink is supposed to be the sleeves of a thermal shirt. But maybe it is too similar to his skin tone. I was going for a faded red, so maybe if I make it more grayish, it will look less like sun-burned arms. lol
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

I remember seeing your banjo guy and look forward to seeing how this turns out. Many people avoid backgrounds(myself included), so it's good to see the kind of attention you're putting into it.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Last pic you posted looks awesome. Very nice. So keen to see the finished result! Nice character looks too.
fracturedray

Post by fracturedray »

Awesome-ness :)
Hi animation world.