Update to Line Width Magnet for 6+

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Dodgy

Update to Line Width Magnet for 6+

Post by Dodgy »

Hi all, I finally got round to updating my Line Width magnet script so it works with 6 and 7. It's available from my website at:

http://www.mikegreen.name

Hope people find it useful! For those that don't know, it works like the Line Width tool, but by dragging up/down it changes the width with a fall off, so you can have gently thickening lines. Dragging left/right alters the line width the same amount across selected points.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

thank you very much. I love this script :)
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Thank you, it's much appreciated! :D
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

wow, never heard of this... will grab it now! :) thanks!

Hey Mike, i've been using your tool today, i think its awesome!! only thing is, the sensitivity is a little high for me - i'd like finer control (i.e. increase the required mouse movements to make more incremental changes) - i find it a little unweildy at the moment due to sensitivity...

(a more universal tweak would be a 'sensitivity' box in the toolbar at the top?)
Many thanks!
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

i dont think my earlier edit bumped the thread, if so i apolgise, otherwise *bump* :)
crsP

Post by crsP »

Nice tool Dodgy. Can you please add a check-box to 'ignore line widths with a value of zero' like heyvern did with the lm line width tool? Better yet, you could have the check-box to ignore line widths less than a number the user could put in an input field. That would make this tool even more useful.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

my two biggest complaints with the tool (which has huge potential) is that it zeros all points out of the influence area on an attached line, and that it's over sensitive for my tastes ... I think points outside the influence area should be totally ignored - but just realised that only happens with points with the shapes default widgth so i'm probably talking about the same issue crsP is... :)
Dodgy

Post by Dodgy »

I'm not sure how that would work though. If you set it to ignore points of 0 width, it won't affect any points which haven't already been modified, and the normal line width tool sets everything to 0 before modifying it as well. Ideally I'd like some way of getting the current shape width and being able to set the width to those initially, but that doesn't seem possible.

The sensitivity should be fairly straightforward however, I'll sort it out as soon as possible.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

sweet!
Yeah what you said makes sense :P it should set the current default width automatically... but if that can't be done that's fair enough :P
Looking forward to sensetivity setting
crsP

Post by crsP »

Here's more detail on what I mean. Say you design your character. You taper the ink lines to your taste. But then you decide to use the width magnet tool to 'fatten' up some areas. The problem is if you go near the tapered lines with the area of influence, they become thicker. In most situations you would want them kept tapered at the size you original made them, regardless of how thick you make the surrounding lines. Therefore, the way it works now, you have to go back and taper those same points again.

Having the checkbox [which will be off by default] means users can enable this function only when the circumstances require it. his is the way it works with the modified lm width tool.