King Arthur's Disasters

Seen some cool animation lately? Share it with the rest of us.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

myles

King Arthur's Disasters

Post by myles »

King Arthur's Disasters - I don't know what software they are using for this show, but a lot of the animation is the kind of thing that could be done quite well with Anime Studio, so there are useful tips to pick up as well as just enjoying the cartoon.

Alas, Zenith Entertainment has gone into administrative recievership, so I don't know if there will be any episodes past season two.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
Patmals

Re: King Arthur's Disasters

Post by Patmals »

myles wrote:King Arthur's Disasters - I don't know what software they are using for this show, but a lot of the animation is the kind of thing that could be done quite well with Anime Studio, so there are useful tips to pick up as well as just enjoying the cartoon.

Alas, Zenith Entertainment has gone into administrative recievership, so I don't know if there will be any episodes past season two.

Regards, Myles.
Myles,

I thought i glimpsed this on ABC kids while thrashing the remote control.

OOOOH! RIk Mayall lends his voice! Cool!
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

OOps..just noticed the ABC Kids logo at the bottom of the home page :?
Barry Baker

Post by Barry Baker »

I've been storyboarding on this show (series 2), so I know that it has been produced in Barcelona using Cel-Action software. Although Cel-Action shares some similarities with Anime Studio, such as a 3D camera and some sort of skeleton for the puppets, in many other ways it lacks most of what our beloved AS has to offer - no vectors, or deformation apart from simple squash and stretch. Cel-Action has also been used to animate Charlie and Lola by Tiger Aspect.

By the way, the bit about Zenith going into receivership is absolutely correct. The good news is that the children's programming, including King Arthur, has been sold, and will continue production.
Andy Blazdell

Post by Andy Blazdell »

no vectors, or deformation apart from simple squash and stretch
CelAction2D does work with vectors, and has done since 1997.

The new version 3 has tools for vector deformation.

But CelAction2D doesn't work in the same way as Anime Studio, you don't draw and edit vectors "live". It's a different workflow, designed for use by large studios with heavy duty requirements.
Barry Baker

Post by Barry Baker »

Sorry to have given out misleading information, but I'm pleased to be corrected.
myles

Post by myles »

Thanks for that information, Barry and Andrew!

Great news that (quick Google) Coolabi has bought up the children's programming and King Arthur. Long may it continue.

Patmals, yes, that's where I saw it first too - it's also now available on DVD in Australia.

Ahh, CelAction2D, also used in The Big Knights, which was one of the shows that really got me more interested in 2D animation on the computer.

No deformations perhaps, but I rather like the no-deformation animation style used, and the switch-layer style animation.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
Barry Baker

Post by Barry Baker »

myles wrote: Ahh, CelAction2D, also used in The Big Knights, which was one of the shows that really got me more interested in 2D animation on the computer.

No deformations perhaps, but I rather like the no-deformation animation style used, and the switch-layer style animation.
Yes, Mark Baker and Neville Astley are the (undisputed?) masters of CelAction animation. Peppa's Pig is also theirs. The program was originally developed specifically for the production of the Big Knights, I believe (quick disclaimer added in case I got it wrong :-))
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

There's a chapter about the two and big knights in one of my animation books ("2d and beyond", Jayne Pilling), have to read tonight and see if the program is mentioned.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Ah, the big world of contradicting information.

Here (http://www.astleybakerdavies.com/bk.htm ... y_behind_1) it says that Big Knights was done in CelAction 2D. However, my book says the drawings were created "in the Animo computer". At least it says it was vector artwork.
Manu

Post by Manu »

Go and ask your money back from Jayne Pilling. Big Knights is CelAction. No Animo involved.
Andy Blazdell

Post by Andy Blazdell »

my book says the drawings were created "in the Animo computer".
In my copy of the book that line refers to the Jolly Roger short film that Mark Baker made before The Big Knights.

Jolly Roger was made with Animo, The Big Knights was made with CelAction2D.
TheXwarrior

Post by TheXwarrior »

King Arthur on Anime? really! this the first time i've heard this stuff and is that can be seen thru internet? is there any links?
"Death is the common visitor, people came and people went" - Benjamin Botton
excalibur swords