demutatio

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Tagirijus

demutatio

Post by Tagirijus »

Hi folk,

I think it's time to present my first movie, made with AnimeStudio. First I have to say sorry that the movie is only in german. Maybe it's still ok for you all? Neverthelesse; have fun at least in watching the scenes and listen to the sounds and music. ;)

Ps: This film was made for a part of my music-pedagogy-study.

Link to the film:
watch it on my (german) site (with soundtrack in the spoiler on the bottom of this site

watch it on Youtube

I would be happy about some feedback.Thank you and have fun! :)

Manu
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Hey Manu,
I don't speak german, but I enjoyed your short :) I really like the contrast between the very smooth colourful world and the black and white one...

Let me take a guess at the story since I think I understood it without the language - The guy drove drunk and killed someone, and then was visited by death to get its revenge? then when he's attacked he beats the attackers off (i won't spoil the twist)...

Even if there's more to the story than that, and without understanding german, it still reads like a visual story, so I think you've done a really good job!

Very good use of music and sound as well... where did you get the soundrack? did you create it? it sounds very professional.

Good luck with it!
Tagirijus

Post by Tagirijus »

Hi there,

First of all: thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it. :)

funksmaname wrote:Hey Manu,
I don't speak german, but I enjoyed your short :) I really like the contrast between the very smooth colourful world and the black and white one...
I'm pleased to read this, since I am an absolut beginner on the graphical site.
funksmaname wrote: Let me take a guess at the story since I think I understood it without the language - The guy drove drunk and killed someone, and then was visited by death to get its revenge? then when he's attacked he beats the attackers off (i won't spoil the twist)...
Actually some other people (german) thought the same. It's some weakness of my idea-to-production-process, because the drunken driver is meant to be someone else. I think this ego-perspective was a bad idea, because it looks like the protagonist remembers this situation like it was his situation, right?

The black creature is not absolutely the "death". It shall just represent an imagination the protagonist had during a sleep-paralysis. During a sleep-paralysis the human body is paralysed so that it does not move like the body does in the dreams (it's a safety reaction of the body). Some people awake in such a sleep-paralyse. They have conscious but can't move; often times the dream and reallity blends together (this is a real fact). I wanted to represent the protagonists situation in the present: he sees the evil things in the world (drinking juveniles), but he cannot do something against this evil. This was my intention.
funksmaname wrote: Even if there's more to the story than that, and without understanding german, it still reads like a visual story, so I think you've done a really good job!
It's a pleasure to read this. :)
funksmaname wrote: Very good use of music and sound as well... where did you get the soundrack? did you create it? it sounds very professional.
I'm glad to read this, too, hehe. I compose the music on my own. Like I wrote: actually I am more some acoustic guy than a graphical one. Music (and sound sometimes) is my business.

Thanks again for the feedback and the kind words. Hopefull more people will write something. :)
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

when i first saw the drunk driver i didn't assume it was the main guy, but then soon after you see him crying and frozen in bed i put 2 and 2 together adn got 5 :)

i like the visual style - the only thing that stood out as a little odd to me was right at the beginning when he's walking and it shows a side view his legs are spread but he doesn't move... it might have been nice to see him move forward (fading between step extremes if you know what i mean, not actually 'moving' so that it fits with the rest)?

the music is really well done - i'm also a musician, how did you record it? what are the strings? i'd like to know a little more about the music :)
Tagirijus

Post by Tagirijus »

Ah I know what you mean; yeah, some more steps would be possible. I will make it better next time, thanks for the tip! :)

The music is 100% done in the computer; no recordings this time (but mainly I like to record live instruments, if I have the option and the time to do this(example)!). The brasses and woods are done with WIVI (wallander instruments) and the strings are from Symphobia. For my taste WIVI+Symphobia is the best mix of virtual instruments I have ever had; I love to work with this tools / plugins. Moreover a very short working process-description for the music, if you like:

- I cut the whole film into 7 pieces, where I wanted to be music in one piece (7 cues)
- After this I made a cue-list for every "cue"; I'm not sure, if this word is known: a cue-list has cue-points; cue-points are some time-marks on which the music has to be somehow
- I loaded the 7 files in 7 seperate music-projects and set the cue-points into my music software (FL Studio)
- Then I just composed the music fitting to the scene
- I rendered the music into waves, put them into the end-mix, etc... you know ;)

If you or someone else has more questions about the musicproduction, I will certainly answer it. after all you guys also help me here on the graphical site, so maybe I can help you in some music-questions. ;)
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

FL STUDIO!? OMFG!
Well, i've been silenced regarding FL Studio that's for sure... i think it sounds amazing.

I will look into those plugins, i was quite surprised by their quality!

Thanks for the info Tagirijus, much appreciated :)

I just can't believe you scored this in FL :S *thud*
Tagirijus

Post by Tagirijus »

Hehe, many people cannot, but at least FL Studio is just a sequencer like many others; but for me with a better workflow.
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

I usually associate FL Studio with ambient techno, so I'm a bit shocked as well. I've been playing around with my midi controller the past few months, and it's amazing how much software sounds like hardware, you can't tell the difference anymore. Very very nice stuff. I'll have to keep an eye on those plugins.
Tagirijus

Post by Tagirijus »

At least it's not only the software itself. The most sound depends on the libraries and plugins you will use in the sequencer! Another thing would be the musical skill of course. ;)
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

Skill definitely counts for a lot, but combined with incredible software I'm seeing more and more one man studios armed with only a laptop and keyboard. You're a perfect example of that. Really interesting era we're heading into.