Bone morph dials script

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

sorry, i have to make another post of gushing excitement.

*gush*

It might be useful to be able to see the feedback while in actions on the MorphDial layer (only?) as you can then set up a series of poses/settings made up of complex control bone arranements to just recall... although, the subtlety of not putting things in exactly the same place every time will probbaly add to a more organic look...

I will deffinately play with this, and try to create a little setup tutorial.
I've discovered that by default adding point motion doesn't work as expected until you bake the point motion, and disable the bone influence in the morph dial menu dialogue :)

I'm not totally clear on how/why to use the icons added to the tool pallete though yet? I can't see the actual effect of them, but it may be due to me clicking everything in excitement :P

---

p.s. i've added new target actions, and editted old ones, and it seemed solid and worked as expected :)
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

DarthFurby wrote:Isn't it awesome funk?

Rudiger, I'll beta test the script on my current project and give feedback.

Also, I'm definitely keeping the glasses.
Just mail me your email address and I'll send it to you.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

I just tried this to control a bone layer... it appears to be working, the bones are being manipulated - but there's no live feedback when moving the morphdials bones... still if you make a change, then move in the timeline it snaps into action.

btw, i just forgot to name my 'morphdials' layer such, and the script seemed to work regardless?

:)

---------

I put a little setup tutorial on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lORDeHcrWNk

Hope it's ok :)

---------

I'm kicking myself for not seeing this post earlier, i can't believe it started in 2009!!! although, to be fair, i have moved from the UK to NZ in the meantime lol

I'd LOVE to try the latest version which includes shape ordering!!!!
also, i was so excited i had to read the entire thread, and this made me salivate:
1. Added ability to specify a point group along with an action using dot notation. This one I really like as it reduces the number of actions you have to create. For example, in the demo file, you only need to have an action for "angry", "sad", etc, plus a group defined for "eyes", "mouth", etc, then you can add control bones like "angry.mouth" just to specify that you only want the mouth to be affected by the angry morph. It would also be useful if you wanted to only have an expression only affect half the face, etc. The added bonus is that it's faster as the script only goes through the points in the relevant group instead of the entire mesh each time.
so excited i might pop!
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

I have AS7 pro and been trying to get this script to work. When I embed the 2 scripts I get an error. I think I am not putting the downloads into thier proper directory. I put the morph file in the menu, tool into tools, and embed is on my desk top.

I deleted the download to start fresh and now I have a file named scripts unzipped on my desk top along with the AS document. Can some one please tell me where to put the folders. I have had little experience with using scripts.

Thanks

Stephen.
Last edited by sbtamu on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Thanks funksmaname, for the brilliant tutorial on setting up Rudigers fantastic Morph dial script!!

Great tutorial for a great script!! :D
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

glad you found it useful Ulrik.

sbtamu, i'm also using AS7 - sounds like you put the scripts in the right places, where the actual embed scripts are doesn't really matter - but the demo included doesn't work unless you relink the embedded scripts manually.

I cover how to do this in my youtube link above...

:wink:
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

funksmaname wrote:glad you found it useful Ulrik.

sbtamu, i'm also using AS7 - sounds like you put the scripts in the right places, where the actual embed scripts are doesn't really matter - but the demo included doesn't work unless you relink the embedded scripts manually.

I cover how to do this in my youtube link above...

:wink:
I unchecked the emedded script file then reclick it and add them the same way you do on your you tube video, but for some reason i get this.

Sorry for bad animation

funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

strange... i've not seen that error before...
why are you adding the scripts from your 'scripts/menu'? i thought you said the 'embed' folder is on your desktop? you have to import the 'embed' ones, not the 'menu' ones...
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Opps sorrythat was a image i took earlier.

Stephen
Sorry for bad animation

funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

sorry, i dont have the technical knowledge to help here :( hopefully someone clevererer will turn up shortly ;)

When I installed it i took the scripts folder from the zip and just replaced my scripts folder with it. It then added the menu/tools into their own area and added an 'embed' folder inside the script folder (although i think the location of the embed scripts are irrelevant)... try reinstalling it this way?
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

funksmaname wrote:sorry, i dont have the technical knowledge to help here :( hopefully someone clevererer will turn up shortly ;)

When I installed it i took the scripts folder from the zip and just replaced my scripts folder with it. It then added the menu/tools into their own area and added an 'embed' folder inside the script folder (although i think the location of the embed scripts are irrelevant)... try reinstalling it this way?
I mistyped a word while adding button to the tool list, D'OH LOL.
Sorry for bad animation

funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

so it's working?
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

No, but the error went away. I've tried to relink the embedded a few time but I still can not get the test head example to work, the bones just move but not the head. Gen for the bone layer and morph for the test head, correct?
Sorry for bad animation

funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

yeah that should work, although there might be a quirk as to which script has to be applied first etc?? i dunno.
Maybe just follow my example with a simple circle, create one action, create one bone, call them something simple so you can't have typos (;)) and see if it works that way?

i had trouble getting the demo to work in the first instance, but fiddling made it work - but not sure what I did different...

one is gen, one is apply, they both have 'morph' in the name, maybe you are applying the same script to both somewhow?
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

I'll draw up my own example and if I can"t get it to work I'll post a vid on you tube showing what I am doing.

BTW thanks for tanking the time to help

Stephen.
Sorry for bad animation