gap in the filling appears

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

umedon

gap in the filling appears

Post by umedon »

If I want to make a waving movement a gap appears in the filling(see picture). Is there a way to correct that?

Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Here's what's going on, and how to fix it. The basic shape of the dress is defined by the curves that make up the outside edges of the dress. You have some dead-end curves the represent pleats in the dress, but dead-end curves can never make up part of the outline. Take a look at the following picture:

In the top-left dress, only the outermost curves define the shape (a trapezoid with a wavy bottom).

In the next picture, the dresses are moved in the same way you moved yours. Notice that the top-left dress has the same gap that yours did:

Again, the problem is that the dead-end pleat line is not part of the shape's outline. The original outline curves still define the shape of the dress. To fix this gap, look at the top-right dress in the two pictures above. In that dress, I added an extra fill shape between two of the pleats. When the dress moves, this fill shape covers up the gap we saw before. The trick is in the layering of the various shapes. The basic dress shape should be lowest, the extra fill shape on top of that, and the pleat lines above that.

The bottom center dress is exactly the same, but I colored the extra fill shape to match the rest of the dress.

You can download the Moho file with all three dresses here:

http://www.lostmarble.com/misc/dresses.moho
umedon

Bones problem

Post by umedon »

Wow your explanations are great (looks like you're the one who wrote the wonderful tutorials ^^)
梅どん
http://iimi.net