Force field in physics engine

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

chrisrenson

Force field in physics engine

Post by chrisrenson »

Has anyone figured out what the force field is supposed to do in the physics engine. As soon as I turn it on, the vector layer object is just pulled off the screen without reacting with the other objects - especially the ground imoveable object?
CJRenson
kavlor

Post by kavlor »

In the physics tab make the forcefield object into a none moving object ,the forcefield option is still selectable even though the motor options before it are ghosted(which might make you think everything below it is).

As to what it does think of it as a fan gushing out a blast of air and the force blowing the objects in the direction of the forcefield(theres another option for altering the direction).
Last edited by kavlor on Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Is it falling through the object that you've just turned the force firld on for? Maybe the force field isn't strong enough to repel the object falling through it. You can increase the force field parameters to make it stronger.

What it does: think of two magnets of similar poles. They kind of repel each other.
chrisrenson

Force Field Failure

Post by chrisrenson »

I feel like an idiot, but I am still not getting it.
I made gravity 0 so there was no interaction.
I put two objects next to each other with force fields set to 50, 75 (i.e. high) and they had no impact on each other - nothing moved despite keyframes automatically on the timeline.
I tried it with objects with the non mveable checked and unchecked. Nothing happens.

Am I missing something basic?
CJRenson
kavlor

Post by kavlor »

I dont think a force field object is meant to be effected by other physic objects.Might be better to state what your after achieving as there maybe a way round it(For instance motion tracking).
PRIMAL MORON

Post by PRIMAL MORON »

Did you try using a bone layer?
It worked for me when i used a bone layer with the shape inside.
It actually makes for realistic levitation.
Here's a sample:
(Yes, I'm a Pokemon fan)
But notice now it moves up and down just like real floating?
That's a forcefield doing it's job, it uses one small bone with a huge bone physics strength (last bone based button on the list) number, the larger the number, higher it floats, but keep in mind, if you use different masses, that it might either float less or more than it should.

@kavlor- I didn't know that, I'll have to try that part out.

That's all for now.