Mask on switch layer

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

fracturedray

Mask on switch layer

Post by fracturedray »

I need to make two masks that switch on and off but the switch layer does not have a tab to enable masks. Please make this possible in the future.
Hi animation world.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Switch layers can only show one layer at at time so there is no way to put in a mask IN the switch layer. Put the masks in another switch or layer below the switch. Put them all in a group or bone layer and turn on the masking. If you have DIFFERENT masks to match the switch layers you could then put multiple different layers in the switch mask switch layer and when you switch the main layer, switch the mask. There is a script in the script forum for "slaving" one switch to another so they switch at the same time. I'll try to track it down.

-vern
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Mask on switch layer

Post by Víctor Paredes »

fracturedray wrote:I need to make two masks that switch on and off but the switch layer does not have a tab to enable masks. Please make this possible in the future.
It has no sense that a switch layer have masking. Switches shows only one layer at time and masking needs at least two layers.
If you want to create a masked layer, inside a switch create a group or a bone layer which contains your layer and mask.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
fracturedray

Post by fracturedray »

Live and learn. :)

I have obviously been mistaken in my thinking of switches. Thanks. I tried to delete this post but didn't see a way to do so.
Hi animation world.
rar313

Re: Mask on switch layer

Post by rar313 »

If one could switch between groups in a switch layer, this could be useful for mouth movements, taking advantage of both the ease of changing mouth shapes with masking and then switching between those mouth shapes with the switch layer.

I was able to do this. First I made two mouth shapes using masking techniques as seen on YouTube. Each group was then placed inside a switch layer. Anime Studio allowed switching between the two groups allowing display of the mouth shapes/masked layers without problem.