One background in different styles

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Paul Mesken

Post by Paul Mesken »

slowtiger wrote:Your comment about Filmation is the first positive one I've ever read. On John Kricfalusi's blog it's always mentioned as worst of animation ever. OTOH John has the same feelings about serious draftsmanship and the misuse of wrong perspective as an excuse for "style".
Actually, it's Sunbow Productions (and Marvel) that made Transformers, G.I. Joe and all that stuff. But everyone knows the Filmation stuff as well ("I got the Power!" He Man). Still, those show solid drawing as well. It's just that they cut lots of corners, more so than Sunbow.

That blog is brilliant! :D
tonym

Post by tonym »

Paul Mesken wrote: And why shun away from something like perspective? Of all the things, it's the easiest. It can be learned from a book, done with a ruler and can even be calculated if one wants to. It doesn't take hundreds of drawings to master. It's easy.
I agree; perspective is easy. That's exactly why I tend to assume every artist is familiar with perspective, and why I also assume that any composition which shuns correct perspective must be an intentional choice.

Parker? I'm curious about something. Did Paul Mesken's post about parallel lines and vanishing point educate you regarding perspective? Was the wacky perspective in your street scene an intentional choice?
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

Parker? I'm curious about something. Did Paul Mesken's post about parallel lines and vanishing point educate you regarding perspective? Was the wacky perspective in your street scene an intentional choice?
I already know about perspective, im not the best at it and yes it was intentional.
fracturedray

Post by fracturedray »

Great work Parker,

If you want to learn more about perspective and can't buy a book at the moment look at this website. http://www.fineart.sk/index.php?s=32&cat=15

I looked at your other illustrations and got a feel for what you can do. My main comment is that your images in this post are fine and the perspective mistakes are no big deal. This is because the drawings have a sketch/messy feel. However when I looked at your really clean/precise images on Deviant it becomes more obvious and looks odd.

One suggestion...
Some concept artist use basic 3D models/shapes for the foundation of their concept drawings. This makes it so they can focus on the concept and not worry about perspective precision. I've used Google SketchUp a bit and found it very easy to learn and use. Not the greatest program but it is fast to build what you want and free.
http://sketchup.google.com/
I recommend you plan out your next scene then use Google SketchUp to create simple blocks of squares for where you want the buildings, cars, chairs, roads, etc etc to be. Don't bother modeling any details, just make a basic layout that you can use for perspective line references.
Hi animation world.
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

fracturedray wrote:Great work Parker,

If you want to learn more about perspective and can't buy a book at the moment look at this website. http://www.fineart.sk/index.php?s=32&cat=15

I looked at your other illustrations and got a feel for what you can do. My main comment is that your images in this post are fine and the perspective mistakes are no big deal. This is because the drawings have a sketch/messy feel. However when I looked at your really clean/precise images on Deviant it becomes more obvious and looks odd.

One suggestion...
Some concept artist use basic 3D models/shapes for the foundation of their concept drawings. This makes it so they can focus on the concept and not worry about perspective precision. I've used Google SketchUp a bit and found it very easy to learn and use. Not the greatest program but it is fast to build what you want and free.
http://sketchup.google.com/
I recommend you plan out your next scene then use Google SketchUp to create simple blocks of squares for where you want the buildings, cars, chairs, roads, etc etc to be. Don't bother modeling any details, just make a basic layout that you can use for perspective line references.

Thank you very much for that link and your recomendations.
betamax

Post by betamax »

Really like the last Background. I really enjoy the wonky perspective, keep it up it has a nice style. It wouldn't hurt though to learn more about perspective, but don't let it ruin your style. Hopefully you'll be able to learn perspective but turn it on and off to your liking.

betamax.