how do I upload my own cartoon characters?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

the-flying-m

Post by the-flying-m »

I was wondering the same thing as Cris. I drew a bunch of characters in MicroSoft Paint (Low-Tech, I know), and can't do anything with them once I import them as PNG's. I somehow managed to put a skeleton in one, but the picture itself wouldn't move, just the bones. Being able to animate my own characters is pretty much THE reason I bought Anime Studio,
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Have you done the tutorials? They are under Help | Help... in the top menu.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
the-flying-m

Post by the-flying-m »

Unfortunately, the manual is over 200 pages long. The online tutorials are not very helpful at all. I have searched through the manual several times, and nothing there is too helpful either.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

the-flying-m wrote:I was wondering the same thing as Cris. I drew a bunch of characters in MicroSoft Paint (Low-Tech, I know), and can't do anything with them once I import them as PNG's. I somehow managed to put a skeleton in one, but the picture itself wouldn't move, just the bones. Being able to animate my own characters is pretty much THE reason I bought Anime Studio,
This might help you, look at pages 59 and 208 on the help file.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

the-flying-m wrote:Unfortunately, the manual is over 200 pages long. The online tutorials are not very helpful at all. I have searched through the manual several times, and nothing there is too helpful either.
Come on! show us a little effort. If you don't want to read or just take a look on the tutorials, at least look how are constructed the characters on library (on the top right of the main window there is a button with the word "Library").
Anime Studio is a very intuitive software, in my opinion, but however you can't expect to learn how to use it without investigate a little.
Sorry, I always try to help new ones and try to be as docile as possible, but I think I have never read this kind of post before.
Anyway, if you have any more specific question, don't hesitate to ask, this forum have been very useful for most of us.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

the-flying-m wrote:Unfortunately, the manual is over 200 pages long. The online tutorials are not very helpful at all. I have searched through the manual several times, and nothing there is too helpful either.
These are not online tutorials. They are tutorials which come with the software. Doesn't sound like you've looked at them...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
the-flying-m

Post by the-flying-m »

I apologize. I'm not very patient. I'll have to go through the manual again and watch the tutorials again. If I'm still having problems, hopefully you won't be too annoyed to help me. :-/
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

Look at binding an image to bones.
"and then Man created god!"
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

the-flying-m,
I'm annoyed. 3 post and complaining about a 200 page manual? It a good thing that your not trying to learn Maya. It has over 2000 inputs and controls. Animation is work. Try:
http://www.xtranormal.com/

Now for some advice: Take your time, go learn how animation has been done for years, lots of website and books out here.

Learn how to use AS slowly. Do the bouncing ball with squash and stretch. Arm, ease in and out. Work your way through the 200 pages.

Last thing, you will notice that the better animators here use other programs along with AS. AS is not the cure all for animation. Treat it like a tool that helps you.

Dale
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Hee hee... I was feeling the same way about this complaint dueyftw. 200 pages?!?!? 200 pages!?!?! Try 600 pages, or try 3 SEPARATE manuals for something like Flash. Have you seen the complexity of some animation programs? More than 200 pages for sure for most of them. 200 pages is a freaking pamphlet in my opinion. Something I read while waiting in line at the bank or the walmart. ;)

The whole world suffers from "Short Attention Span" due to the internet and Twitter. Everyone wants their info in teeny tiny chunks one sentence at a time before they get bored and "click off" to something else. Does this mean that text books in schools are 100 page pamphlets now? Does no one read books any more? ;)

-vern