charger problems

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

swrecordings

charger problems

Post by swrecordings »

i have a dell vostro 1500, and am generally happy with it. however i have a bit of a major problem at the moment. my computer's battery does not charge. earlier today the charger input was bent in a way that it tipped. and is not in the center of the area i need to put the charger cable in. i fixed it before, and its kinda in the center but now the battery is not charging. any ideas?

help appreciated
sw
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Do you have a multimeter? if so, set it to AC 120 current and put one lead into the middle inside and the other lead against the outside while the charger is plugged in and see if you get any voltage (be careful not to shock yourself). If there is voltage there then set the meter to DC and take the leads and touch one to each of the 2 contacts that touches the battery and see if there is voltage there.

If no voltage on the AC side I would just replace that short cord. If you have AC current but no DC current I would guess the charger is bad.

If you are getting DC current but the battery isn't charging then its either the battery that needs replaced or something internal on you computer.

If your charger does not have a separated power cord then just check for DC current.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

This is a common problem. Almost certain that you need to replace the power jack on your laptop. Unless you are good at electronics, you will need to take it into a repair shop.
swrecordings

Post by swrecordings »

that stinks, i guess i need to replace it. ouch...