"Error"

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

julian82

"Error"

Post by julian82 »

Hi,

Here's a quick animation I did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMiuS_IK8DM

It's an animated re-make of a stick figure storyboard (the link to the original is in the info/comments of my video). I'm not responsible for the audio.

Two things:

1. I'm not happy with the 'zoom' sequence, it could've been done a lot better. But having said that, this whole thing was done in a day.. so I'll live with it.

2. Default mouthset was modified and used. Don't hate on me for that :P

Any feedback/comments (excluding mouthset;) would be appreciated.

Thanks!
toonertime

Post by toonertime »

i like your animation style. Your backgrounds are
loose and creative, and the characters are fun
to look at. I think I would have liked to have
seen the characters from different perspectives,
to add more variety.
Paul Mesken

Re: "Error"

Post by Paul Mesken »

That was a pretty funny cartoon. I liked it. Loved the little touch of the old typewriter sound. I don't know about the zoom. It didn't bother me at all.

Perhaps you could use a camera move with it. Traditionally, a head is framed in such a way that the eye line is at 1/3 of the screen's height (this is the "rule of thirds", you can find out about it on wikipedia).

If you would zoom in then the eyes would travel up in the frame so the camera would have to move up to keep them at the 1/3 horizontal. Of course, the camera move and the zoom would not happen perfectly synchronously (with a human operator) so you could have the move lag behind the zoom, overshoot its target and move a little down again to get the eye line at 1/3 again. Depending on how good the operator is, the lag between the move and the zoom would be greater or smaller, as it would be for the overshoot. It's actually a bit tricky to do zooms correctly when the object is not in the dead center (which they normally aren't) and on youtube there are lots of clips showing that most people even have a hard time keeping the camera level :lol:

But, as I said, the zoom didn't bother me at all. And, if you would go for such a subtle thing like making it look like this thing was really filmed by a human operator then you would have to do it for all the camera work.

Don't know about using more angles. This is supposed to be some interview. Many professional interviews are done with at least 2 camera's (often one standing on the tripod, doing it wide, the other really operated). But is this supposed to be a professionally done interview or is this her girl friend taping her?

There is one thing that I would like to criticize though : the action where she punches the monitor.

The action is so minor that, if it were not for the sound effect, I would not have noticed it at all. I feel that it needs much more anticipation (it has no anticipation at all, right now, she just "shoots one from the hip").

Before a punch is delivered, the fist is pulled back. This is the anticipation, the "wind up". It's the anticipation that sells the action because the action is a very brief moment whereas the anticipation takes a much longer time. And the contrast between the anticipation and the action itself makes things clearer as well. So, I would pull the fist way back (so broadly that it works even in silhouet), keep it there for a couple of frames and then deliver the punch.