MOHO SCENE IN AFTER EFFECTS

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

prabhat

MOHO SCENE IN AFTER EFFECTS

Post by prabhat »

Hi,

Is there any way to take MOHO scene to " Adobe after effects" and do the final rendering?

Now After effects support many 2D and 3D file formats.

If we have a work-flow arrangement with After Effects, then....

1) We can do video compositing in lot more interesting manner.

2) We can use many filters / special effects on the MOHO scene . The filters start from simple Halo effects to complex Sea Water Waves and sophisticated atmospheric effects etc.

These effects can be applied at individual Moho Object level, not only at the scene level.

3) Then MOHO does not have to focus on sophisticated rendering / VTR control etc. and can safely "focus on Animation Features" to keep itself on the forefront.

Regards

Prabhat MOHANTY
Last edited by prabhat on Mon May 23, 2005 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nichod

Post by Nichod »

Doesn't after effects support mov and avi? Not sure I get what you are asking?
Sometimes in order to accomplish something you need to not sleep.
prabhat

Post by prabhat »

Nichod wrote:Doesn't after effects support mov and avi? Not sure I get what you are asking?
Hi,

It does. But the effects then only be applied at a global level, not at object level. I guess we can solve many lighting issues as well.

Regards

Prabhat MOHANTY
Nichod

Post by Nichod »

I think what I'd like would be a multipass export. Where we could export each layer seperately. Rendering out the animation, character, background as seperate layers/movies. Granted you can do this now but an automatic with alpha option would be nice.

Brian
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Nichod wrote:Granted you can do this now but an automatic with alpha option would be nice.
Can't this be done with a Lua script?
Nichod

Post by Nichod »

Don't know. Can it? :?:
Tburlingame2003

AE user

Post by Tburlingame2003 »

Ideally if Moho could export PSD files with layers and masks that would solve your problem. (the Moho team is far more responsive to enhancement requests than any other company Ive dealt with, don't underestimate this software.)

For now a multipass using Quick time with the animation compressor at millions + for each layer, AE as of 4 will dirrectly import Quick time as an object with alpha. The batch processor of moho will speed out put with saves modifications.

The Mov's with alphas also will work as as adjustment layer masks, Moho's splines are far more predictable and ajustable, adjustment layers allow the applying a filter to a masked area only and are great for isolating affects.

Again check out the now free Expression (Mac or windows) w/ free net passport go to www.creaturehouse.com, Expression brushes can be exported as flash.
It's not Moho but it can do things like spiral particle simulations do to it's quirks with brush angles, export as a avi/mov with a jkeying color etc.

feel free to post me.
Todd
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

No, you couldn't do this with Lua. I think the best approach is to render out each layer as a separate movie file with alpha. OK, probably not each layer, but each logical group of layers: background, character 1, character 2, foreground, etc. Then, import all these movies into After Effects and apply whatever filters and effects you want.

Exporting as sequence of PSD (Photoshop) files could also be an option. I'm not sure how easy that would be to deal with in After Effects. Would that be useful?
cribble

Post by cribble »

I wouldn't mind having the PSD feature. It could come useful someday.
--Scott
cribble.net
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Second that, and I don't think it would be someday for me. One bit that would be useful if that was implemented would be to make it possible to export the layers in an order that reflected their depth sorting state, and not necessarily just in the order the layers appear in the Layers window in Moho. Besides AE, it would seem that some of the lighting effects that have been requested that would be "like Photoshop" could be done in, well, Photoshop. Set up a Photoshop action and batch process you're set of PSD's. Might be handy for a number of things.
prabhat

Post by prabhat »

Lost Marble wrote: Exporting as sequence of PSD (Photoshop) files could also be an option. I'm not sure how easy that would be to deal with in After Effects. Would that be useful?
HI,

I guess both export and import of PSD files will be extremely useful.

Exported sequenced PSD files with layers can be a huge bonus to work with AE.

Also :

Imported PSD file with layers and then combine them with BONE in MOHO to manipulate a "well textured character" from PHOTOSHOP/COREL DRAW/ 3DS MAX / Cinema 4D will raise the quality of work in MOHO to the next level.

Regards

Prabhat MOHANTY
janimatic

Post by janimatic »

hey!

i just wrote a little comand line tool +lua script to split a selected moho project in top layer project files ready for rendering...
http://animatic.no-ip.com/pub/dev/moho/mohoParser.zip
Simple isn't it?

I guess writing extrnal renderers would be far too complex (handling bone animation, etc...)
janimatic

Post by janimatic »

moho parser updated :

now generate the batch file ready for rendering (please edit moho path and moho parser path inthe lua script)

future :

- create a compositing moho project file (import rendered png layers)
- other composting packages file formats... (shake, digital fusion???)
Nichod

Post by Nichod »

Ok. I have to take a look at lua scripting.

Brian
janimatic

Post by janimatic »

actually the main part is done in c++,
but yes you could write a parser / interpreter in lua too