Going nuts with mouths

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

unknownbluray

Going nuts with mouths

Post by unknownbluray »

OK I haven't been using my Anime Debut 6 for awhile infact about 3 or 3 weeks now and I just got into using. I have been hired (for free) to do some cartoons for a group thats against drugs, alcohol, and tobacco. Now I'm creating the Main characters and I'm stumped on making mouths that look right. Unfortunately none fo the Anime Debut 6 lips are right and I'm having the biggest mental issues learning how to do this I have watched some youtube videos on it and even downloaded pdf files on it. I still have no clue how to do it. SO if anyone knows how to make mouths simply and easily please let me know, and they have to be able to do the lip sync. I have 2 months to get this done luckily they don't have to be long but everything else wasn't as hard as the mouths. Just to clear things up I just need like a demo to show the group in 2 months.

Thanks in advance.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Do you need Anime Studio to interpolate the transition between the mouth positions? Or is it okay if the mouths flash from one position to the next? That will make a big difference in the complexity of your mouths. In my opinion, making mouths that do not need to interpolate is a lot easier. But some character styles wouldn't look right without interpolation.
unknownbluray

Post by unknownbluray »

lwaxana wrote:Do you need Anime Studio to interpolate the transition between the mouth positions? Or is it okay if the mouths flash from one position to the next? That will make a big difference in the complexity of your mouths. In my opinion, making mouths that do not need to interpolate is a lot easier. But some character styles wouldn't look right without interpolation.
I think either way should be ok. If there was a simpler way than I read lately I could do this myself. As long as it looks like its saying what its saying I'm all happy.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

If you do not need interpolation, all you need to do is create a switch layer. Inside of that switch layer create a vector layer. On the vector layer, draw what you want the phoneme "AI" to look like. It helps to look at the premade mouths as a reference. Be sure to type in "AI" as the new layer name. Then, after that, create another vector layer, draw the next phoneme, and rename the layer. Keep repeating that process until you have all of the phonemes. You can also throw some other mouth positions like a smile, frown, etc. Then your mouth is ready to animate using the same methods you would use on a premade mouth. :D
unknownbluray

Post by unknownbluray »

lwaxana wrote:If you do not need interpolation, all you need to do is create a switch layer. Inside of that switch layer create a vector layer. On the vector layer, draw what you want the phoneme "AI" to look like. It helps to look at the premade mouths as a reference. Be sure to type in "AI" as the new layer name. Then, after that, create another vector layer, draw the next phoneme, and rename the layer. Keep repeating that process until you have all of the phonemes. You can also throw some other mouth positions like a smile, frown, etc. Then your mouth is ready to animate using the same methods you would use on a premade mouth. :D
Wow ok I sort of understood what you said but not 100% but that could be due to its 1am lol. I thank you for the help.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

If you want to learn more, I recommend browsing the "Papagayo" section of the forum. There are a lot of threads there about creating and animating mouths and most of the threads are helpful and on topic. Just keep in mind that there are two kinds of mouths: mouths that just flash different drawings/images and the more complicated mouths where each mouth needs to have the same number of points for point interpolation. For a first try at making a mouth, I would stick with the basic technique!
unknownbluray

Post by unknownbluray »

What if I wanted it to match? I mean like what Studio debut 6 mouths due where you just add it and add the voice/sound file? I tried the make the mouth move by doing it myself and add the sound file but it looks really well cheessy to say the least. Isnt there a member who made mouths for everyone to use I thought I read it somewhere months ago.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Hmm... Anime Studio 6 has a new built in lip syncing feature. I'm still using version 5 so I use a separate program (papagayo) to set up my lip syncing. Maybe a version 6 user will chime in.
unknownbluray

Post by unknownbluray »

I have Debut 6 version and I have used already made mouths and lip synced them I need to draw mouths because none of the in software ones will work. I was curious where I go to draw them such as well all I got is Corel draw X3 suite. My characters are sort of between Kim possible and Pokemon if that makes any sense.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

You can draw them directly into Anime Studio on a vector layer. Or you can draw them in another program and export a png with a transparent background. Then bring each mouth into an image layer in Anime Studio. If your characters are drawn in Anime Studio vectors, the mouths will probably look best if they are also AS vectors.
unknownbluray

Post by unknownbluray »

lwaxana wrote:You can draw them directly into Anime Studio on a vector layer. Or you can draw them in another program and export a png with a transparent background. Then bring each mouth into an image layer in Anime Studio. If your characters are drawn in Anime Studio vectors, the mouths will probably look best if they are also AS vectors.
Very helpful thank you I did a basic mouth and it works great with the wav files on anime debut 6 now all I need to do is make my own wav files to see how it works out. Again thank you for your help.