Are Family Guy, Simpsons, King of the Hill, etc in 2D ?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Will_3

Are Family Guy, Simpsons, King of the Hill, etc in 2D ?

Post by Will_3 »

Are these popular animated TV shows in 2D, 3D or some combination?

Family Guy, Simpsons, King of the Hill, Dora the Explorer, etc...

Thanks for any help.
knunk

Post by knunk »

Actually they are people dressed in suits.

2d Will.
Will_3

Post by Will_3 »

Well I read somewhere that (at least one of them... Family Guy) was created in 3D and then "flattened"

"'it's cel shaded, meaning the characters start out as 3d. models on the computer, but are then digitally flattened out to appear 2d."

But they do look 2D to me... but when the head or torso turns... it makes you wonder if there is some combination going on to give it the "toon" look but adding something extra...
crsP

Post by crsP »

Family Guy's humour is one dimensional - 'Remember in the 80's/90's/70's/60's/etc when this used to happen?...'

If Family Guy's animation was created by a computer, then they need to upgrade their computers.

But seriously, they might use 3d for certain things. I know that The Simpsons uses 3d for vehicles and such like, just like Futurama does. And certainly multi-plane effects will be done in the computer.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

cel shading still being very notorious. If you watch simpson the movie you will notice exactly where they are using 3d objects, the same with futurama and many series. It is very hard to blend well 3d with 2d characters, at least for my taste.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Futurama usually just uses 3D on the spaceship when it's in motion, otherwise it's in 2D.

I've also noticed that even South Park has used some 3D over the last few years. (in the fight scene where Kyle and Cartmen fist fight when they go to hollywood to shut down an episode of Family guy)

I haven't noticed any 3D in King of the Hill yet.

On family guy they seem to have alot of complex moves that IMO be real hard to do in 2D, for example when Stewie and Brian dance in one of their sing alongs.

Where there are some 3D used in these cartoons, I think its safe to just call them 2D unlike true 3D like Toy Story or Shrek etc.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

I think Futurama uses 3D models for a lot of the building backgrounds (interior and exterior). But they usually use a still image. However, almost every time they show the outside of the Planet Express building for an establishing shot, they do a tiny 3D rotational pan for maybe 5-10 degrees around the building. As if to say, "We're 2D. Oh wait! We just blew your mind." XD I know not everyone is a fan of that animation style, but I love it! XD
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

they are definitly 2d but they some times use 3d for vehicles and other stuffs specially family guy and futurama.
tinnycan

Post by tinnycan »

I know someone who works on the show, they use both. 3D mostly only for vehicles and very slow head turns.