2-4 weeks
No votes
over a month
50%

Total votes: 2
swrecordings

writers/ animators block

Post by swrecordings »

there may be a topic on this already but i am just having trouble getting good ideas. any suggestions for getting rid of animators block?
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

Good stories can come from anywhere, real life, the what if scenario etc. Three levels of conflict help too - create a problem, then make it worse, more complex. Boy meets girl, falls in love and llive happily ever after - not interesting. Make the girl a rich kid, the boy a punk (Grease). Getting interesting. Father discovers the tryst and bans daughter from seeing that gold-digger ever again. The story now has potential. Lets make it really compelling. Girl is pregnant. This situation is going to be fun to sort out... you going to switch off?.

Remember too most stories will stall at some point, and for lots of reasons. Unfortunately, time and sitting in front of a blank sheet of paper is the only solution - ie, try to fix it, even if what you are writing will be trashed later. The fact you are writing again, will help over come the block.

Solution:
  • Change the location! In other words, if the action has stalled in scene A, move the story to another set/location where something else is happening.
  • Jump the block and go to a part of the film/story you already know: It might be the solution is later in the film.
  • Plot the story in one line actions. This helps to see the backbone of the story, without the words getting in the way.
  • Review the problem scene: Is it actually necessary, does it move the story forward. If it doesn't, then kill it.
  • Can you cut into the action later, or leave the scene earlier. [Hawaii 5-0 writers theory] - Don't see Danno arrive or say good morning or other time wasting stuff, just cut in at the "who found the body?". - it keeps up the pace.
The important thing to ask yourself is, "What do I have to do in this scene to tell the story?" Each scene has to provide the audience with a something ... it might be a laugh, a piece of the plot, an establishing shot to illustrate place or time shift, or the location of a gun (or other prop to be used later). Once that plot point has been delivered, then its time to cut.

Also keep a pen, paper and torch by your bed. I have forgotten how many times now an idea has come into my head during the night, I write it down then fall back into a good sleep knowing I'm not going to forget the idea. If it still looks funny, great, interesting in the morning, the idea gets moved to the Dev File.

I used to keep a micro tape-recorder in the car, If I thought of something when driving the 3 hours from London to home, I just record it and forget it. Long motorway journeys are great for problem solving.

Rhoel.
DK

Post by DK »

Rhoel.
Those pointers are fantastic. Thanks for posting them. Wonderful advice from a professional there folks.

Cheers
D.K
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

If you're not working on a project, but just want to get excited about animating, I think it helps to try animating something new and fun. I like to scan through my animation book and find a really interesting walk or movement and just go for it. I had a lot of fun trying a double bounce walk. I'm getting a kick out of hair blowing in wind. And I can't wait to try animating a fire cycle. Sometimes it's inspiring just to see what you can do. :D And you don't have to commit to these kinds of exercises, so there's no pressure, just fun!

----------

Thanks for sharing those tips, Rhoel! :D
swrecordings

Post by swrecordings »

i am just a little bit stuck on a project and thats why i asked. thanks for the tips. they are really helpful. i am beginning to get a idea for what i am going to do. should be up between a week and the end of may