Relative Path for Linked Images.

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

prabhat

Relative Path for Linked Images.

Post by prabhat »

Hi,

Is there a way to assign Relative path to images imported to a particular project.

When we move a project to another Drive, the links to images change and one has to define the sources all over again.

LM suggests that images be in the same directory as the Project.

But in a Production environment, we generally keep all common assets in separate directory. And file size keep increasing as the production paces up and with multiple artists working on the same project, it tends to get even more difficult.

Is there any way to change the "Global Path" of all images in a Project(s) when we move file to another DRIVE / Computer ? Like we do give refrences to image files in website ( file:///.... instead of c:\....)

Regards

Prabhat MOHANTY
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Re: Relative Path for Linked Images.

Post by Lost Marble »

prabhat wrote:LM suggests that images be in the same directory as the Project.
In the same directory, or a sub-directory. Here's some more information:

http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1314

Moho doesn't like the image paths to go "up and over". In other words, if in order to access the images you have to go back up the directory path and then down into a different directory, Moho doesn't like that and will only store it as a full pathname.

But if the images are in a sub-directory of the document's directory, Moho will save a relative path.
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

Is there any chance that this will change in an update or in v6?

To be forced to keep all Moho-files in the root-folder of the project when working on different machines can get pretty muddled, especially on larger projects with 75+ scenes and a lot of incremental saves on those.
RASH

Post by RASH »

Why not let your OS keep track of the external image file and store an alias of each file close to the Moho file (e.g. in an Alias subfolder). If the Moho file shows a broken link (because the image file has been moved) you simply reload the alias file in the Source Image dialogue. When copying a Moho file to elsewhere, you would have to copy the alias files as well.

If I'm correct, then this way, there is only one version of the external file, while there might be several Moho file versions on several computers over an internal network. And if the external file is modified, it only has te be modified once.
prabhat

Re: Relative Path for Linked Images.

Post by prabhat »

Moho doesn't like the image paths to go "up and over".
Hi,

I guess that's exactly is happening.
But if one keeps images under the same directory, then one will end up having multiple copies of the same file.

For example :

Project 1 >> scene 1
>> scene 2
>> scene 3
>> scene 4

if all scenes use one particular image , then we will end up having 4 images in separate scenes instead of having "common " image under project>>image directory and servicing all scenes.

Regards

Prabhat MOHANTY
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Yes, duplicating image resources could be a problem in some cases, but you could also organize your project like this:

Code: Select all

Project 1/
    common_resources/
    scene1.moho
    scene1_resources/
    scene2.moho
    scene2_resources/
    scene3.moho
    scene3_resources/
[/code]
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I'm confused. Earlier you said:
Moho doesn't like the image paths to go "up and over".
Surely this is an "up-and-over" structure?

J
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
prabhat

Post by prabhat »

Project 1/
    common_resources/
    scene1.moho
    scene1_resources/
    scene2.moho
    scene2_resources/
    scene3.moho
    scene3_resources/
Hi,

I wonder if we can really solve the problem of Asset Duplication by this method.

Regards

Prabhat MOHANTY
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

This is not an "up-and-over" arrangement. All assets are in the same folder, or a sub-folder, as the .moho file. Also, duplicate assets can be avoided by putting them in a "common" folder.

The downside to this arrangement is that all your .moho files are in the same folder, but this may not be such a drawback. The extra assets (images, lipsync files, audio files, etc.) for each scene can still be separated into different folders.
myles

Post by myles »

jahnocli, does it reduce your confusion if the arrangement is represented like this? (the same thing Lost Marble posted, just shown differently)

Project 1/
    scene1.moho
    scene2.moho
    scene3.moho
    shared_resources/
        image_in_multiple_scenes_1.png
    scene1_resources/
    scene2_resources/
    scene3_resources/
The up-and-over refers to paths in relation to the .moho file

For instance, in the following example, image1.png would no longer be available to scene2.moho (or image2.png to scene 1.moho) if you moved the project.

Project 1/
   Scene1/
        scene1.moho
        image1.png
   Scene2/
        scene2.moho
        image2.png
Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
myles

Post by myles »

rylleman wrote:To be forced to keep all Moho-files in the root-folder of the project when working on different machines can get pretty muddled, especially on larger projects with 75+ scenes and a lot of incremental saves on those.
rylleman,
have you ever considered a version/resource control system for the multiple versions, so you only see the latest version but earlier versions are available if required?
Admittedly, it is another system/procedure (every time you save an incremental version you may want to come back to, you need to right-click on the file and choose "check in") for people to get used to, so there may be resistance to the idea.

Alternatively, some variation of RASH's suggestion?
RASH's suggestion would work fine under Linux. I'm thinking Windows might be easier using a shared drive setup (really just a variation of RASH's suggestion).

For example, set up a machine that holds the shared resources in a shared folder (either a Windows machine or, perhaps better, a Linux machine running Samba). Map all other (Windows) machines to see it as, for example, G:\Project1 (or use the \\shared_machine\Project1 format).

All shared resources can go into there (in sub-folders as necessary) and all other files under their particular scene folder or however you do it now, and you could still move things around however you wanted, as long as each machine continues to see G:\Project1 (or \\shared_machine\Project1).

This would also work for Linux client machines using the Samba client, if you have a multi-OS environment.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Thanks Myles -- that helps a bit. I always prefer a map to a list of directions if I'm going somewhere; I guess my confusion relates to the fact that I think visually...!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
prabhat

Confusion in real Production Environment

Post by prabhat »

Project 1/
    scene1.moho
    scene2.moho
    scene3.moho
    shared_resources/
        image_in_multiple_scenes_1.png
    scene1_resources/
    scene2_resources/
    scene3_resources/
Hi,

I am glad that my posting has generated a healthy discussion. But the solution so far does not seem "natural" and "regular" practices by artists and can create "production chaos" anyday, particularly if you are working on a "Multi-episode serials" with many characters and locational shots. The situation gets worse if there is a deadline to catch.

Managing files should follow the "attitudinal mapping of the users' thinking and behavioural pattern" than some out-and-out "technical pathing system".

Let's see what happened when we experimented with MOHO in a production environment.

We created the file directory as follows :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Project 1:
>> Actors >> Actor1>>drawings / facial gestures / composite actions
>> Props >> Bedroom / drawing room / kitchen / street
>> episodes >> episode1 / episode2
episode 1 >> scenes>>scene1 / scene2 / scene 3
scene1 >> sc1_sh1_char1_sleeping.moho / sc1_sh2_char1_closeup_snoring.moho / sc1_sh3_curtain_moving.moho

etc. etc.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, we thought, it was a clean Asset Management Process. Artists working on individual scenes could create the similar "Directory Path" on their individual machines and we can "merge" the project for "centralized rendering" or senior animator's intervention.

It worked fine initially. Some artists kept the project in C drive. Some in D Drive and few right on their "desktop".

The problem was noticed when, some "ran out" of their space and moved the "project" in totality to another drive on the same machine.

And the nightmare begun!!!!!

To my horror, I realize that all images had inherited the "hard coded path" of their orgin. And image files needed "redefine source" to get images back in the project which was very very disappointing and painful process.

My Suggestion : Use "Relative Path " system as followed in "web development" where the project is developed "offline", then moved to a "staging server" and then finally on to a "web server".

But all through there is no problem with file "links".

We need to find a solution. It surely is a nightmare for a Production Manager who hates to get caught in unpredictable situations at the last moment.

We need a solution ( with due regard to all suggestions given ) far elegant and full-proof than suggested so far.

Regards

Prabhat MOHANTY
rylleman

Re: Confusion in real Production Environment

Post by rylleman »

prabhat wrote:...To my horror, I realize that all images had inherited the "hard coded path" of their orgin. And image files needed "redefine source" to get images back in the project which was very very disappointing and painful process.
I've figured out a dirty workaround for this, relative paths in Moho would be the best but for now this helps if you have to change all paths, moving the project to another computer for instance.

Open the .moho file in a wordprocessor like WordPad, and use the Replace command, search for the old path "F:/projects/projectB/" and replace with the new one "D:/+PROJECTS+/projectB/". You can choose to replace every occurance at once with the press of a button. Save and open in Moho, all paths are now correct.
DaleG

broken link

Post by DaleG »

I have managed to break links to my image files.. I renamed the folder that contained the images Im using and dont recall the original name of the folder to change it back. Does moho show you the link it is looking for somewhere.. or how else are you able to restore a broken link?