Difficulty Manually Binding to a Layer

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

chrisrenson

Difficulty Manually Binding to a Layer

Post by chrisrenson »

I would like to create a bone that moves one layer, but does not effect any of the over layers in the bone structure. I think I can use the Bind Layer tool.
Kelly Murdock' book says to: select a bone and a layer that is a sublayer of the bone and click the bind layer tool.

I keep trying this to no effect. I have a simple set up with a bone layer and two simple vector layers. ONe has a rectangle and the other has a circle. I want to have a bone that moves the rectangle, but does not effect the circle. But all my attempts have the bone moving both layers.

What am I missing?

Thanks
Chris
CJRenson
super8mm

Post by super8mm »

top menu Bone>Release Layer

Click on that while on the layer you don't want the bones to affect.
chrisrenson

Release Bone Layer

Post by chrisrenson »

Thanks for the response. But for some reason the release layer has no effect.
I set up a simple structure with a bone layer with 3 vector sublayers. I created one bone on the bone layer and selected 2 of the three layers and clicked on Bones>eRlease Layer. There was no difference. Moving the bone with the Manipulate tool moves all three layers. I have tried both Flxible and REgion binding and adjusted the bone strength. None of these things have any impact.

It seems so simple - what am I missing?

Thank
Chris
CJRenson
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Create one bone for each sublayer. Bind these via Layer binding. Now only the layer attached to that bone will move with the bone.
chrisrenson

Post by chrisrenson »

I am trying that. I created a simple layer with a vector square and a second layer with a triangle .

I created a bone layer and dragged both vector layers into it. I then created two separate bones. I selected each bone, selected one of the layers, and used the bind layer tool to bind the square to one bone, and the triangle to the other bone.

Moving either bone moved both layers.

I tried selected a layer that I did NOT want the bone to affect, and selcted Bone->Release Layer.

No change. Either bone moved both layers.

This should be simple. I must be missing something very basic.
CJRenson
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Other way round: select the image/vector layer with the "layer binding tool", then click on the bone, then "return".
chrisrenson

Post by chrisrenson »

Thank you, slowtiger! It is amazing how the simplest things can stump you. I find the Anime STudio way of doing things counter-intuitive, but I am slowly getting used to it.

Do you have any tips about how to get up the learning curve faster?

I joined heyvern's web site, but I am hungry for more.

Again, thanks for your help.
CJRenson