3/4 View Walk Cycle

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

lwaxana

3/4 View Walk Cycle

Post by lwaxana »

Hi everyone! I've been working on this walk cycle a while now, but I'd really like to get it polished and convincing. I'm planning to use this as one of the standard walks for this character.

http://vimeo.com/9238879

Also, any tips on when to increase the size of the character as she moves closer? I'm changing the layer scale in steps on the keyframes where she seems to be moving forward the most. But it looks a little weird to me.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. :)
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Her right arm goes back too abruptly from its front position. Otherwise the walk is fine.

As for perspective: I use the trick to put my in-place animated walk cycle into a group layer and place that group's origin exactly at the vanishing point of my perspective. Now I can use the scale tool to enlarge the character. To control this I set every second step to onionskin.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Thanks for your advice, Slowtiger. Your vanishing point idea is very clever. :)
super8mm

Post by super8mm »

Nice animation. :D
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

thanks, super8. :D
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

That's really nice. I don't know how you've rigged and keyed your character but if you've keyed the forearm and hands on the same frames as your characters upper arms then you could try the following trick that most CG animators do on completing a walk cycle. Select all the forearm keys in the timeline and drag them back (to the right) 1 frame. Select all the hand keys and drag them back 2 frames. This should give a nice drag to the lower arms and hands and give a smoother looking motion. You can of course experiment a little with the number of frames you delay certain parts of the character.
aleXean

Post by aleXean »

Hey! That's a solid character, whats her line width? :D
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Amigaman: Thanks for the tip. I saw arms animated that way in Animator's Survival Guide, but I never gave it the old college try because it seemed like there were too many different things going on. Your trick makes it sound so simple. Can't wait to try it. :D

aleXean: Thanks. :D On the head the line weights range from 2-4. All the lines in the body are at 4 right now, but I plan to vary them, too. Actually, I was so caught up in the walk mechanics that I forgot all about it. ;) Thanks for the reminder. I think a lot of the appearance also comes from the line color: dark brown (#3F3529).
robj

Post by robj »

Nicely done, nicely done. Nice motion and cadence with a sense of weight that is carried well. I hope to see her soon in scene or 2.

Rob