Control multiple bone layers with a single "master"

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

robj

Control multiple bone layers with a single "master"

Post by robj »

I know the answer is probably yes, but not sure how to implement. I have 2 examples:

1.):
2 bone layers with identical bone setup; one controling an image; the other controling a vector layer ... would like to control these with a third bone layer

2.):
7 bone layers with different parts (Larm, Rarm, Lleg, Rleg, Head, Nech, & Backbone) ... would like to control these with 1 "master" bone layer that has all the bones from above layers in it.

... and variations of that. Is there a way / functionality already in Anime Studio ? ... is this an "RTFM" moment ... ? ... will there be ...*gulp* ... scripting involved ?

=>

Thanks for any info / direction anyone can offer.

Rob
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

This wouldn't make much sense, IMO.

The reason why I have different bone layers for different body parts is that I like to have my timelines independent from each other. If I now use a "master" bone layer to control several bone layers, I will again have all bone keys in one single timeline - the same result as if I have only one bone layer from the beginning.
robj

Post by robj »

Slowtiger,

Given the singular example that you have provided, I would agree. But, all circumstances which require a solution are not satisfied with a single approach. I am without doubt that your techniques work for you … I have seen the work you produce and have admired the execution with which they are realized. But, “ … one size does not fit all … “, and “ … there is more than one way to skin a cat … “

=>

Circumstance: to mask an image layer controlled with a bone layer with a separate vector layer controlled with an identical bone layer.

Challenge: keep the 2 bone layers in synch so that the masking layer stays in synch with the image layer it is masking without the tedium of going to 2 layers to set each keyframe

Solution: Control both bone layers with a “Master” bone layer, or make 1 of the 2 layers control the other (i.e.: keyframes are set for both bone hierarchies at the same time and to the same values).

Another use for a “Master” bone layer would be to keep several bone layers used for a single character comprised of several separate bone layer sub-hierarchies (neck / head hierarchy; left shoulder / arm hierarchy; left hip / leg hierarchy; etc…) to be controlled from a single “Master” bone layer.

For example: without this central control system, the shoulder hierarchy and the backbone hierarchy would have to be positioned separately and hopefully the shoulder motion would match the backbone motion in between keyframes.

You seem to suggest that having all bones represented on a single layer is a bad thing. Having all bones represented on a single layer is the objective for a solution to my problem. My solution requires a central control system that is a representation of the separate individual control systems.

All this said, I am open to other suggestions. I do understand and recognize that there may be (read: “probably is”) a simpler / more robust solution to my problem. The solution I am currently interested in is noted above: Control another (or several other) bone layer(s) from a central bone layer representing the “entire” control structure in question.

Rob
super8mm

Post by super8mm »

One single bone to affect a bone group would be the same as using Layer tools.

Unless you want to make a bunch of characters for example dance all the same way. You can animate one character then duplicate the group layer or just the bone layer to another character when it's done.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I'd agree with you that sometimes it's annoying to select separate layers again and again to adjust movements. But I prefer a clean timeline over having access to all bones within one layer since for my kind of character animation this works best, especially when doing changes later.
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

I know you can make point animation on one layer and let another copy of that layer be controlled by the first one,using a script called "meshinstance", you can search for it on this forum it should be somewhere here.
I know Fazek made one script called fa_meshinstance.lua and I think Synthsin made one as well.

Maybe it's possible to do the same with bone animation if you or some script guru could modify that script?
Dodgy

Post by Dodgy »

I have a plugin for this very thing. When applied to a layer with bones, it looks for bones with the same names in layers above (in the hierarchy), and matches their motions. So you could have an arm in a different layer, with a parent bone layer with arm bones in it, and another parent bone layer with the whole skeleton in it. As you animate the parent bone layer, its child bone layer will animate to match (to copy the motion correctly, you'll need all the bones from the arm and up to the root bone).

Look for it on my web page at

www.mikegreen.name

I use it all the time for switch layers which are children of my full hierarchy layer.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Thanks for link, dodgy. I just want to ask you a favor. Can you make your avatar smaller? it's actually using the half of my screen and the space for reading is reduced a lot. Thanks.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Dodgy

Post by Dodgy »

LOL Sorry, I noticed that I'd linked to the wrong image last time I was on here. I would have thought it would have told me to limit my images, but oh well. It's fixed now!
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Dodgy wrote:LOL Sorry, I noticed that I'd linked to the wrong image last time I was on here. I would have thought it would have told me to limit my images, but oh well. It's fixed now!
:wink: Thanks
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel