How about a challenge for Moho users?

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

RASH

How about a challenge for Moho users?

Post by RASH »

On the risc of being rediculed by some for proposing something while I myself have no authority on the matter...

As I discovered in the discussions of the How to prevent the Moho flow and in Why are Moho animations often like sitcoms? the problem some (if not many, including myself) Moho users have is how to animate, IOW how to bring life into a set of consecutive drawings.

Now how about a challenge? How about drawing the sweetest little girl (e.g. 7 years of age) you can draw and have here skipping a rope. Draw the design and extremes on paper (or if you prefer, in a drawing program, using an art tablet) and only if you're satisfied with the result, transfer your design to Moho and do the animation by giving it life**. You may use bones, switch layer, particle layers or whatever, as long as it is funny and enjoyable.

A further challenge could be a sweet toddler boy racing around in a circle on his tricycle (showing the boy from all sides while he completes his circle). Give the boy the expression like he is trying to do his best, but keep in mind it IS a toddler with limited abilities at this age -- it's no Lance Amstrong.

I know these two challenges are tall orders, especially for those who are new to cartoon animation (and cartoon drawing, like me), but I think many Moho users would benefit from the experience and learn what it is to animate something.

There's no time limit and no requirement to enter your animation -- as in a competition. It's just for your eyes only. OTOH If you're willing to share, I would be happy to see what you've come up with. Of course, you may choose altogether different subjects than I propose, as long as it is character animation, challenging for yourself and the end result is enjoyable.

Have fun animating :D

**Note: see Kermatoon's free course How to draw for classical animation for an explanation (12 "rules" of animation) in the course exercises. IMO These rules are best experienced by trying to duplicate examples (and experiment on your own) than reading about them in a book. Animation is a craft, and a craft can only be learnt by actually creating something, not by observing and/or reading about it.