I want to get into Anime Studio but don't have the money to

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Jack1337

I want to get into Anime Studio but don't have the money to

Post by Jack1337 »

I can't afford to pay for tutorials, I haven't been using Anime Studio since it was Moho years ago, and even then I didn't learn much except basic character drawing and adding bones to characters.

Is it possible for a mere mortal to get into this? Because I haven't been able to find any learning material that isn't dead or outdated online, the only tutorials that seem good are these http://www.markbremmer.com/3Bpages/animestudiopro.html but not all tutorials there are free.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Have you done all the tutorials that come with the software? If you follow those then you are well on your way to knowing all there is to know. About the software that is - animation techniques take a while longer :D

Other than that there are tons of free tutorials and examples on YouTube.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

If you have an specific question, you can search on this forum. Many of the questions have been answered here.

I recommend you to take a look at the pdf tutorial which comes with the software. It covers all the basics, the rest comes from your own experience.

PD: Actually, I wouldn't pay for any tutorial, I think that it's better to learn and share. But that's my point of view about to sharing the knowledge.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Jack1337

Post by Jack1337 »

Thanks guys, I usually never look at default help files and tutorials because I somehow have this dumb mindset that they're no good :)
I'll go over the stuff that comes with AS.

BTW would you say it's better to learn to draw with AS or Illustrator? I'm new to vector drawing but want to give it a shot, I find it easier to draw in Illustrator but I can't seem to figure out how to do some stuff AS can do there.

I'm not big on animation tbh, but I need AS for simple walking, jumping animations and stuff cause I'm thinking of making a game.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Jack1337 wrote:BTW would you say it's better to learn to draw with AS or Illustrator? I'm new to vector drawing but want to give it a shot, I find it easier to draw in Illustrator but I can't seem to figure out how to do some stuff AS can do there.
If you want to learn AS, I recommend you to try with the AS drawing tools. This are pretty different to the standard vectorial tools, but very powerful and works great for animation, they have several features you won't see on any other software. Import from AI is almost never an option for me, in AS almost each point is important, so you draw thinking on the future animation. It could sound hard, but actually it's very easy once you understand the basics. You just must remember you are not using Illustrator or similar, so you can't expect all be the same, it's another paradigm.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
thatonejonguy

Post by thatonejonguy »

Jack1337: Those tutorials from Mark are fantastic. Very helpful to get you into it quickly. Highly recommended!

Mark's tutorials are offered thru vtc.com. They have a subscription fee to view their tutorials. But if you do a web search you might be able to find a promo code to get 30 days free evaluation of their site. Hint hint. ;p
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I usually never look at default help files and tutorials
So you don't want to work through the tutorials you have, but also don't want to pay for other people's tutorials? What do you expect - that knowledge will come to you like pidgeon's droppings?
Jack1337

Post by Jack1337 »

slowtiger wrote:
I usually never look at default help files and tutorials
So you don't want to work through the tutorials you have, but also don't want to pay for other people's tutorials? What do you expect - that knowledge will come to you like pidgeon's droppings?
That's not at all what I said and others understood what I said perfectly well and were actually helpful and polite, so go troll somewhere else.
I also didn't realize that the program came with good, well written tutorials, people pointed that out so it's all cool.

Thanks everyone btw, except this guy, you should just go troll some place else i guess.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Jack1337 wrote:Thanks everyone btw, except this guy, you should just go troll some place else i guess.
take it easy. Slowtiger is a great guy and he is always helping. try to understand him, if you didn't even seen the tutorials you can't expect everybody congrats you for that.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

RTFM

Sorry, could not resist! :twisted:

G
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

To have any success in animating, you need to be patient.
"and then Man created god!"
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

slowtiger wrote:
What do you expect - that knowledge will come to you like pidgeon's droppings?
Slowtiger, to be fair (and with all due respect) I learnt a lot of what I know from Chucky Cheese, and he is particularly pidgeon-like in physique. So in effect, I DID have knowledge come to me almost like droppings from said pidgeon.
Gametrog

Re: I want to get into Anime Studio but don't have the money

Post by Gametrog »

Jack1337 wrote:I can't afford to pay for tutorials, I haven't been using Anime Studio since it was Moho years ago, and even then I didn't learn much except basic character drawing and adding bones to characters.

Is it possible for a mere mortal to get into this? Because I haven't been able to find any learning material that isn't dead or outdated online, the only tutorials that seem good are these http://www.markbremmer.com/3Bpages/animestudiopro.html but not all tutorials there are free.
Im new to AS also, and just made a post about Illustrator vs AS Drawing. If you have never learned Illustrator, don't do it for AS, they are in no way similar. Stick with AS.

Also, I found the pack-in tutorials to be much better than I expected. Do the quick start tutorials, and then open the manual and go through those. They took me far, and I often revisit them (had the application for a week, playing with it every night).