...make a person look in different directions?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

salp42

...make a person look in different directions?

Post by salp42 »

Like in the Simpsons when someone is talking to a group of people they turn there head a lot. Is there and easy way to do this? or do you have to rearrange the points every time you want to turn someone's head? Is there a certain bone set up? (my set up just makes the head move so that the ear goes to the shoulder)

I was thinking about making the eyes move but i don't really want to do that until i know how to make the head turn.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Search the forum -- a number of people have solutions to this.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
tonyg

Post by tonyg »

Depending on the style you can try a switch layer with the head drawn at different angles.... unless I have misunderstood.
arfa

Post by arfa »

I wonder if someone had the time to collect a few of the better postings on turns?

It comes up so regularly it would almost warrant a sticky.
Is there and easy way to do this?
Short answer... No.
If you have a regularly used rig then it is worth developing switch layers or front, 3/4 etc. views but as often as not there are so many variables as regards context that I find a combination of plain old point manipulation and quick shift, blur-to-new-view the easiest. Ie., treating each situation anew.

The idea of a 'silver bullet' turn solution has long ago dropped off my work sheet - but not my wish list :lol:
Imago

Post by Imago »

I've drawn one head position for every direction and use the switch layer to use them, but this method is good for low frame rate movies.
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I think the best way to create fluid head turns is blend morph (which are based on actions).
I have posted about here
viewtopic.php?p=77099
But it's just my opinion
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Genete

Post by Genete »

I wonder if someone had the time to collect a few of the better postings on turns?
Have you seen this?
viewtopic.php?t=7244

-G
arfa

Post by arfa »

Thanks for reminding me Genete. Yes I have looked through those links.

It is interesting to see that everyone has a different approach. This reflects the flexibility of the software and mixed styles. Selgin is right about fluid turns (morphing) but it is totally fussy about point count. I work more like Imago with different views in layers - not always switches. I am still quite rough so prefer being able tweak the points and generally mess around.

I have been recently studying the old Disney classics - Snow White, Fantasia, Pinocchio & Alice in Wonderland. Inspiring.
Bless tweening i reckon :D
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

selgin wrote:I think the best way to create fluid head turns is blend morph (which are based on actions).
I have posted about here
viewtopic.php?p=77099
But it's just my opinion
Wow, thanks for this information selgin! By the way, is there a way to create a full side view with this technique?

udd