Create cartoony dust with particles

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Create cartoony dust with particles

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Hi, here is a trick I discovered a few days ago looking for a way to create a more cartoony dust and still using particles.
Here is how it works.
There are two exactly equal particle layers but with a little difference:
- the first contains a vector layer with a shape with gradient, transparency and soft edge.
- the second contains the same vector layer, but without any effect on it. no blur, no gradient, no transparency.

On the second vector layer we create a shadow, it will be the border of the entire dust cluod. So, the first particle layer works as the inside of the cluod and the second works as the border.

I create some keyframes for distortion of the particles cloud and transparency at the end of the animation for a more fluid playback, this way there are not little clouds suddenly disappearing all the time. The shadow -border- has the same treatment, it becomes more thin and transparent as the cloud moves.

To keep exactly the same movements on the two particle layers (in case the character be running as roadrunner or whatever) I put both inside a bone layer and added a bone which is binded to both particle layers. So if you want to move the cloud, just move the bone.

Here is the file, obviously. (new link)
Last edited by Víctor Paredes on Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Genete

Post by Genete »

That's pretty clever and very cool!
This one must be sticked!
-G
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Yeah, this is nice -- I need to play with this some but thanks for posting!
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I'm glad you like it. I just discovered something, the second vector layer can be equal to the first, but with edge. This way you don't need to add any shadow and the preview will be better. I feel a little stupid of haven't thought this before :roll: .
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Very nice effect, Selgin. :wink:
billamu

Post by billamu »

Very nice - I might use that trick for a project I'm working on ATM. :D
adoa

great tip

Post by adoa »

as a newbie i found this tip very useful. aside from dust i can use this techniques for a variety of other purposes. thanks
cartoonmonkey

Post by cartoonmonkey »

Is there a way to simply have the particle follow the direction it's traveling? that is.. every time I create a particle effect in AS, it seem that gravity / wind blows things to one side or another.

I'd like a 'still wind' environment.. wherein the particle (smoke) doesn't blow off on it's own accord..

Anyone?
Noobishly,

C
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

cartoonmonkey wrote:Is there a way to simply have the particle follow the direction it's traveling? that is.. every time I create a particle effect in AS, it seem that gravity / wind blows things to one side or another.

I'd like a 'still wind' environment.. wherein the particle (smoke) doesn't blow off on it's own accord..

Anyone?
Noobishly,

C
In your particle layers, edit the properties on the Particles tab.

The acceleration and direction parameters are what do the gravity, or wind direction change.
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

Nice and useful effect.
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

cartoonmonkey wrote:Is there a way to simply have the particle follow the direction it's traveling? that is.. every time I create a particle effect in AS, it seem that gravity / wind blows things to one side or another.

Anyone?
Noobishly,

C
Actually, in the demo file, which I just looked at, the particle itself is animated as moving in a direction. So for the demo, if you don't want the smoke moving up, undo those keyframes.
Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

HA! Very useful. Thanks as always for sharing, Selgin.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Gnaws wrote:HA! Very useful. Thanks as always for sharing, Selgin.
:) You are welcome
patricia3d

Post by patricia3d »

Thanks for sharing your file Selgin. Its wonderfull.
Wolfo

Post by Wolfo »

How do you add transparency animation at the end?