Feedback please, scene from my show.

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Jamesofmiddledistance

Feedback please, scene from my show.

Post by Jamesofmiddledistance »

Hey Guys

Here is a link to a scene from our show Blaze Away created entirely with ASP5. Its as far as we've come and i was looking for feedback on the style and animation please. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBtwxOxv540
Last edited by Jamesofmiddledistance on Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
lumarama

Post by lumarama »

Your characters' eyes never blink. Head rotation work is good! I think you've created some rig for this. Right?
Jamesofmiddledistance

lumarama wrote:Your characters' eyes never blink. Head rotation work is good! I think you've created some rig for this. Right?
Rig? I'm no AS expert, just trial, error, and youtube tutorials, what's a rig? as in Bones? yeah i used them for the boys.

Cheese does blink from time to time, but if it appears that he doesn't then i will probably make them say closed longer.

The animation, i feel, improved as it got toward the end as i learnt more bits and pieces as i went.
lumarama

Post by lumarama »

Yes, "rig" I mean everything you do with your character to simplify the animation - like bones for example to simplify body deformation.

Yes, I think you should make blinking more visible - honestly I have a feeling that they don't blink at all. Probably it is because closed eyes of your characters look very similar to opened eyes. Because usually I think 1-2 frames for closed eyes should be enough.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

The animation is just okay, but I won't make any specific recommendations. Making good animation requires getting so many things right that you just have to keep working on it. I highly recommend checking out the ecritiques on the 11 Second Club to get an idea of the principles you must know to animate well.

On the positive side, you have talent and potential. The character designs, head turns, and multiplane effects are pretty well done. The fact you completed this much is impressive too.

You didn't ask for feedback on the content, but I'll offer my two cents. I have to admit that two stoners on a couch is turning into a cliche (eg., Seth Rogan, et. al.). Cheech and Chong, arguably the progenitor for this type of humor, was able to come up with a lot of original situations for what is essentially a one-joke premise.

Also, you might want to make the guys a little more likable. As they are, I find them a little bratty. Don't they have a bigger problem than looking for a baggy? Maybe they need a job to pay the rent? Are they going to fight aliens? I hope the storyline will give them a big problem to solve so we can root for them!

Sorry for the long post. I'm feeling verbose today. :)
Jamesofmiddledistance

okay, just went to 11second club.... I think i'll hang up my hat. These boys are shit hot and if they can't make this industry pay after years of experience then there aint much hope for a guy living in the UK starting out with no eduation in the field. I'll carry on animating for fun, but getting this pilot ready for freemantle has taken all of me and it still aint a patch on this MONTHS competition winner over at 11 seconds. Single handedly finishing a 30min episode, and maaaaan there is so much action what with all the planned vistas, john hulking out, the ensuing destruction, a battle with the NWS' experimental battle suit, a high octane rescue and yet more distruction, i cant see ever looking as good as that dudes work. I mean it looks like something from the Fleisher Studios Superman series FFS! :shock:
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

If you want to feel better, try checking out the lowest rated ones. :wink:

Now that you've describe what's coming, I want to see it. :)