America's Pop Star Penalty Round: round two!

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jwlane

America's Pop Star Penalty Round: round two!

Post by jwlane »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE544MBrpos

Here's the next installment. It's only 55 seconds, not much of a time commitment. So, check it out and forward the link, please, if you like it.

Thank you.
Joppa

Post by Joppa »

Cool! have you made it in anime studio?
neeters_guy

Re: America's Pop Star Penalty Round: round two!

Post by neeters_guy »

This is flat-out amazing work...the camera work, animation, lighting effect, etc.

I assume the workflow is the same as you've described in your previous thread.

Just amazing.
jwlane

Anime Studio portion

Post by jwlane »

I did all the character animation in Anime Studio Pro. The backgrounds were drawn with an actual pencil on natural finish paper, and colored in Photoshop. Compositing and and effects, like the owl's headlamp eyes and floor shadows, that was done in After Effects.

Music (if you want to be flattering and call it that) was Garage Band instruments and the on-screen keyboard. Foley sound effects was an empty hall with a cheap cam-corder mic.

I'm glad you like it.
jwlane

Post by jwlane »

Neeters,

You popped up under my screen while I was typing. Yes, it's the same old tool set. I'm sure there are better virtual cameras out there, but for the money, After Effects is going to be hard to beat.

Thank you.
Acochran_89

Post by Acochran_89 »

The animation was amazing!..again lol

There was one thing that I didn't like this time around. That is, I think that the coloring of the owls legs make them blend in far too much with the background. I suggest a lighter color. It's hard to see the movements of the legs at times.
jwlane

Post by jwlane »

Acochran_89 wrote:There was one thing that I didn't like this time around. That is, I think that the coloring of the owls legs make them blend in far too much with the background. I suggest a lighter color. It's hard to see the movements of the legs at times.
Acochran, you're right. Unfortunately that didn't become an issue at all until the movie was converted to H.264, for upload. As PNG files comped in After Effects, there is more definition, enough to make the difference. I have some color correction set up in my Quicktime Pro conversion, from Animation to H.264 codecs. This process of having to 'regain' color saturation lost during compression, the exact result is apparently hard for me to predict. But, H.264 gets a file way over a gig, down to about 100 MB. From now on I'll try to test a short segment all the way through the pipeline, before final render.

Thank you for the valuable feedback.
Bedhead

Post by Bedhead »

Ouuutstanding!
jwlane

Fixes

Post by jwlane »

I reloaded the file with a fix for better contrast in the legs. There was also a typo in the credits that my sister was more than happy to point out.

I lost my view numbers and ratings of course, when I made the change. Besides the US, Sweden and Ukraine had the most hits, followed by Chile and Pakistan in popularity. The first Penalty Round movie is doing best in Peru, South Africa, UK and Libya.

Here's the new URL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMhhkPMk_90
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Fixes

Post by Víctor Paredes »

jwlane wrote:I lost my view numbers and ratings of course, when I made the change. Besides the US, Sweden and Ukraine had the most hits, followed by Chile and Pakistan in popularity.
Hey! I'm in Chile! :D
Your work is amazing, jwlane, very inspirational. I admire and envy your talent :roll:
jwlane

Re: Fixes

Post by jwlane »

selgin wrote: Hey! I'm in Chile!
Thank you, Selgin.

For media and culture, much of South America looks like it is ready to take off, like a rocket - so much talent, style and humor.

I liked watching your 'club' videos. They remind me of the old beach bars I use to hang out at in Florida.
Acochran_89

Post by Acochran_89 »

MUCH MUCH MUCH better with the contrast added. Amazing work! Can't wait to see more