Sketchy looking Lines?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

SJHooks

Sketchy looking Lines?

Post by SJHooks »

It's certainly been a while, (I've been practicing quite a fair amount on complete 360 head turns and body turns, head turns I'm... mediocre at, while body turns I completely suck at.) For some time, I've been wondering how to make that sketchy looking type of line: Image My closest guess (by myself) would to use the "sketchy" style for the line, along with a noisy outline on the layer (with a small jitter). Any other methods?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Do you use a tablet or a mouse to draw? I get this look automatically when I use the freehand drawing tool, but I use a Wacom tablet.
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

i would use the option Apply sketchy effect.

-Script

-Draw

-Apply sketchy effect

Noise settings can work too.
SJHooks

Post by SJHooks »

Ugh! I hate taking a long time answer. Ok, slowtiger, I use a tablet and a mouse (mainly because I find Anime Studio 5 Pro's ability at drawing without using the line tool a bit dissapointing... That or I don't know the full capabilities of it). Is there a way to use the ASP5, or 6, pencil tool something like the Adobe Flash brush tool? And PARKER, I don't have that scirpt. Like I said I have Anime Studio Pro 5, (to which I plan to buy Pro 6 soon).
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Let me get this straight: when you use the tablet, don't you get sketchy lines automatically? If not, something with your pen pressure settings seems to be wrong, either in AS, or in the tablet driver settings.

The AS settings should look like this:
You find them on top of the project window when you choose the freehand tool.
meltedtoons

Post by meltedtoons »

which tablet do u use? I use a wacom Bamboo and I don't get the sketch affect
SJHooks

Post by SJHooks »

Thanks slowtiger, I configured those settings back to their originals and they worked. As for my tablet I actually use a Hanvon tablet :P. I am going to get another one in due time, but so far the Hanvon tablet I have seems to work great. Anyways, I'm going to play with the maximum and minimum widths so I can get an even more sketchy type of line. EDIT: Okay, I found certain ratios to be good for cetain things (and that the random function is also good for making sketchy looks when using a tablet). The only dissapointment I have now about it is that the lines are always cornered off at the end, not rounded. I know about the tapering function, but that hasn't satisfied my need for a round end for a line, thus back when I first bought ASP5, I made stuck figures using circles and squares. Also, as good as the pen pressure and tablet technique is, it still is somewhat easy to use the line width tool and just manually make the vector... inky looking. I still prefer the pen tablet style, because it's easier and more natural looking :)