Lack of solid background

(This forum has been closed. Please use the General Moho Discussion forum.)

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

SteveRyan

Lack of solid background

Post by SteveRyan »

The ability to move the various windows around and hide/show them is terrific.

I'm not so hip on the lack of a solid background for Moho though. I can see right through to my desktop or whatever other apps I have open. It makes for a visually cluttered space. Perhaps others enjoy this, but I would like to have the option to choose a solid color background.
7feet

Second that

Post by 7feet »

I wouldn't mind that either. For the moment as a workaround (my desktop is way too cluttered) I just leave a fullscreen empty notepad window behind moho. I used that because its almost no extra overhead.
spasmodic_cheese

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

Yah its abit annoying.. you can use a windows 'shell' to give you multiple 'workspaces' (desktops) that you can switch back and forth (a shell lets you change the look and feel of your operating system)

i use http://www.bb4win.org
its really nifty and lightweight!
Ric_535

Post by Ric_535 »

Whaa see through background? - mine is solid :shock:
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Ric_535 - Maybe your using a lower screen resolution that crowds everything together. I generally use the highest resolution my monitor will support (1600x1200 at the moment) which leaves thinks a little spread out.
spasmodic_cheese

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

i think ric was thinking what i thoguht when i first read this thread...

the windows are SOLID , but there a multiple windows and if you have them abit far apart, and you can see other windows in the 'cracks' of these windows...

Its no problem tho
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

To be honest I'd prefer a solid bg. You can maximise the preview window but then you cant resize the preview itself (To make it go faster :-) )
I suspect this sort of thing is hard to change though.
HuGGyBeaR

duh...?

Post by HuGGyBeaR »

Am I missing something?
if you maximise the canvas window it locks full screen to the desktop :s
you can then just move the palletes around as you like (much like in photoshop)

however, the strange thing is that the top menus go under the pallettes, so if you have the tool bar at the top left you have to move it just to use the menus.

p.s. the mousewheel resizes the preview window even if maximaized ;)
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

Good tip about the mouse wheel. All we need now is to be able to move the preview and to be able to do this with a stylus. Oh, and to keep the menus on top.
HuGGyBeaR

Post by HuGGyBeaR »

right click can be used to pan the workspace... which can be easily done with a tablet also. all we need now, if there isnt hidden away somewhere already, is to be able to zoom in and out with shortcuts (mayeb +/-, or maybe one key that could be used with an up/down stroke of the mouse/pen to zoom in and out smoothly...?)

btw, Dave - thanks for posting that carrot. Your work is amazing, and now that we have forums here, i urge you to enlighten us to your general workflow and how you plan your characters in a squeaky tutorial. :) You're drwaing and boning technique (fnar fnar) is as good as it gets.
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

Again, I didn't realise about the right click pan. As you say all we really need are pen enabled short cuts for zoom and numeric entry (Middle button?) and we shall be a happy bunch of tablet users indeed.

Thanks for the kind words. Tutorials eh? Sounds a bit scary to me as most of my work is trial and error. Maybe I should when I have a bit of time, it might help me refine my work method. Not any time soon I'm afraid but I will try to answer any questions people have in the mean time.
HuGGyBeaR

Post by HuGGyBeaR »

not all tablets have a middle button, my wacom only has two (and an eraser)... maybe a keyboard shortcut would be best? i still think +/- or [/] would be sufficient.

Alternatively, just give the zoom function a shortcut - which it doesnt seem to have at the moment...?
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Besides using the right mouse button to pan, if you hold the shift key down you can zoom. So, tablet users should be able to pan and zoom without too much trouble.
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

All problems solved then. :D