My Nudge Keys Toolset... Finally!!!!

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

basshole

Post by basshole »

i"ll try it again. Yeah, I was messing with a particular camera cut, and I shifted everything (I assume you park the timeline's playhead at the frame where you want to start nudging, so that if you're parked on frame 30, for instance, and do a global nudge, you move all keys in the document from frame 30, including frame 30, to the end of the timeline) about ten frames right. Then I wanted to lessen the shift, so I tried global shifting back left, but it stopped working after one frame of movement. Do I need to do something with that tool_list.txt besides pasting the fragment text into it? We're getting into territory, with installing tools, etc. that I'm totally noobish at.
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

You certainly seem to have be driving it right. Can you clarify what you mean by "stopped working"? Does the cursor move at all, or does the cursor move, but the keys to the right of it not move? Does global nudge left ever work?
basshole

Post by basshole »

I don't know what that was. . .it worked fine when I tried it recently. Nudged it right about 10, then moved it back two. Didn't try more. Maybe I did an extra operation I was unaware of when it malfucntioned.

Here's a dumbish question. . .does it matter how fast you hit the button? On my system, or maybe because of the amount of crap in my project, it takes a couple seconds for the move to happen after I click the button. I'll click the button, and then a few seconds later, the keys move. If I want to move the keys 10 frames, and just click 10 times as quickly as I can, am I screwing anything up vs. click, wait, click again?
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

I normally use the shortcut keys (',' and '.', hold down <shift> for global) and hardly ever use the buttons. I often hold down the keys and it works fine, although there is a bit of a lag. Naturally, the amount of lag depends on the number of layers, and keys, etc in your document, as well as the speed of your computer.
basshole

Post by basshole »

OH, ok. I was using different keys. when I hold the mouse over the tool it tells me global nudge right is ">".

Is there any way, using the consolidated layer, to tell which layer has a key at a given frame? If something's preventing me from nudging left, how to find out which layer(s) it is?
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

On my keyboard Shift-',' is '<' and Shift-'.' is '>'. Perhaps some European or laptop keyboards are different. You can always change the shortcut key mapping in _tools.txt if you want something different.

Sorry, there is no current way to find out which layers have a key at a particular frame without navigating through all the layers on the document. I could make the nudge left tool report the first layer it finds with a key to the Lua console, I guess. Could have a separate menu script to report it too.
basshole

Post by basshole »

Thanks. Jeez, I'm a dope. The sequencer will tell you which channels have keys at what frames, highlighted in green. I just caught this. That's too bad about the audio.

Also, am I crazy or is there some kind save feature built into this tool? I swear, twice now, I've had instances where I saved right before I did a nudge move, decided I didn't like the move after I did it, closed and reopened the file, only to find that somehow it saved it after I made the nudge move.

One thing I have not noticed is what someone mentioned about cycles earlier, that it resets the cycle frame to 0. I have not had this experience.
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

basshole wrote:Thanks. Jeez, I'm a dope. The sequencer will tell you which channels have keys at what frames, highlighted in green. I just caught this. That's too bad about the audio.
I'm not aware of this feature, can you please explain it.
basshole wrote: Also, am I crazy or is there some kind save feature built into this tool? I swear, twice now, I've had instances where I saved right before I did a nudge move, decided I didn't like the move after I did it, closed and reopened the file, only to find that somehow it saved it after I made the nudge move.
Hehe, not that I know of.
basshole wrote: One thing I have not noticed is what someone mentioned about cycles earlier, that it resets the cycle frame to 0. I have not had this experience.
Really? You must have snatched the new version off my computer or something. :lol:
basshole

Post by basshole »

Yeah, you don't mind me hacking you guys occasionally, do you? Just part of our brave new world. Your wife's pretty, and I only siphoned a little from your bank account.

In the sequencer, on any given layer, areas with key frames appear to have green highlights. That's really all there is too it. So if you're looking at a layer and frames 45-60 have keys, those frames in the sequencer on that layer be green, the rest grey (or whatever that default color is).
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

basshole wrote:Yeah, you don't mind me hacking you guys occasionally, do you? Just part of our brave new world. Your wife's pretty, and I only siphoned a little from your bank account.
At least your a considerate hacker. Some hackers just have no sense of etiquette.
basshole wrote: In the sequencer, on any given layer, areas with key frames appear to have green highlights. That's really all there is too it. So if you're looking at a layer and frames 45-60 have keys, those frames in the sequencer on that layer be green, the rest grey (or whatever that default color is).
Sorry, but I'm just not seeing it. Do you have to enable a preference or something? It would be great if you could post a screenshot or something, showing the green highlights. It's just that I think Stefman is busting a gut trying to implement something similar.
basshole

Post by basshole »

I"m sorry guys, one again basshole shows how only part of his brain is functioning correctly. Sometimes I think I shouldn't be allowed to leave the house.

What I was seeing seems to apply only to switch layers, and shows which sublayer is active at a given time. Where it's green, it's "on", anywhere else, off. My bad.

Please keep gut busting.

And hey guess what? I lied again. I am getting that issue where nudging resets the cycle keyframe. I just wasn't seeing it at first 'cause the only thing I'm using it for so far is eye blinking, 'cause you can't see the bug, really. But if I actually LOOK at the cylcing keys. . .yeah, that's a problem.
stefman

Post by stefman »

Hey Rudiger,

I'm wondering if it is possible to create an interactif consolidated timeline.

At the moment your script creates the consolidated timeline , it looks at which frames there are keys anywhere in the timeline and it creates a reference key at those frames.

What I would like to know if this timeline could be updated at any key modification somewhere in the scene.

For example: I have two layers and I create keys at frame 5 for both of them.
After that I create the consolidated timeline layer which will show a key at frame 5 as well. But now, I'll move the key of my second layer from frame 5 to frame 10 and I would like the consolidated timeline layer to show this key at frame 10 as well.

Could this be done, by embedding a script to the consolidated timeline layer which tells it to update itself at every key change?

stefman
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

stefman wrote:Hey Rudiger,

I'm wondering if it is possible to create an interactif consolidated timeline.

At the moment your script creates the consolidated timeline , it looks at which frames there are keys anywhere in the timeline and it creates a reference key at those frames.

What I would like to know if this timeline could be updated at any key modification somewhere in the scene.

For example: I have two layers and I create keys at frame 5 for both of them.
After that I create the consolidated timeline layer which will show a key at frame 5 as well. But now, I'll move the key of my second layer from frame 5 to frame 10 and I would like the consolidated timeline layer to show this key at frame 10 as well.

Could this be done, by embedding a script to the consolidated timeline layer which tells it to update itself at every key change?

stefman
Surprisingly, I think the answer is yes it could, as the layer script is pretty much run after every single operation. Not sure what it would do to performance though, as you would be traversing the entire document looking for keys on every channel every single time you click the mouse, but it depends how badly you want it I guess. You know that you can simply rerun the create consolidated_timeline_layer menu script at any time right and it will just do an update if the layer already exists. It would be pretty easy to create a button tool that calls the menu script if you wanted to update it with a shortcut key.
stefman

Post by stefman »

Ah, yes I was wondering as well if this would create ram problems.

I wasn't aware that the layer was updated by rerunning the script. That's cool.

Indeed, a button or a shortcut key are the safer and an easy solution.

Thank you very much for these information.

stefman
stefman

Post by stefman »

Rudiger,

I remarked that the nudge key scripts don't nudge keys from the Shape_Effect_Transforms channel.

Cheers,

stefman