Annoying black flashing in point select

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Barry Baker

Annoying black flashing in point select

Post by Barry Baker »

In version 6, while in point select mode (g) there seems to be a new "feature" whereby the screen flashes black when one clicks on an empty area of the screen - which I often do to de-select all points. It is highly irritating, and I wonder if there is some way of turning it off?
Darramouss

Post by Darramouss »

It doesn't happen for me. Not sure of your platform but I'm on a Mac.
Sheer will is my greatest talent - Sledge Hammer!
Barry Baker

Post by Barry Baker »

That's interesting - I'm on Windows.
Darramouss

Post by Darramouss »

Have you tried re-installing the program? Couldn't hurt and could fix the problem. Whether you want to un-install it first would be up to you.
Sheer will is my greatest talent - Sledge Hammer!
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

That happened to me too. I Had forgot it. I installed Fazek's tools and it didn't happened again, I mean, I'm supposing that the tools were the problem.
Anyway, I haven't a "version 6" Fazek's tools, so they don't work as good as in 5.6. I'm waiting for Vern who says he is taking a look to that tools, but seems to be (I hope not) that Vern is not posting anymore, just as Mkelley and Synth. It's is very sad.
Barry Baker

Post by Barry Baker »

Darramouss wrote:Have you tried re-installing the program? Couldn't hurt and could fix the problem. Whether you want to un-install it first would be up to you.
Actually I have already had to re-install the program. When I first installed it, I still had v5.6 in the system, so v6 installed itself in the same directory. However, the new installation left a whole bunch of incompatible files from 5.6 still in their directories, and every time I ran it, I would get a Lua console with a huge scrolling list of errors as soon as it started up.

So eventually I uninstalled v6, renamed the old directory and installed v6 into a fresh one. I would urge everyone who is upgrading to 6 to make sure it doesn't install over 5.6
Genete

Post by Genete »

I see it also in linux. It is a new "feature" :)
-G
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Genete wrote:I see it also in linux. It is a new "feature" :)
-G
Hey, you already have linux version and didn't told me!
Genete

Post by Genete »

yes, I'm testing it for linux.
Ttomak

Post by Ttomak »

That's not happening to me on my AS6. I'm running Win XP. Monitor setting, maybe???
Barry Baker

Post by Barry Baker »

It's not a monitor setting, because it only flashes in the drawing area in ASP 6. That's weird that some of us get this effect and others don't. It's certainly very irritating. Mike? Are you looking at this?
n.hurst

Post by n.hurst »

I didn't see that when trialling AS6 on XP. Besides, it's not much of a feature - a 'blink' feature would be taking character animation software a bit far...

I reckon it's a graphics driver issue, which would explain the same behaviour across different OSes. On XP, try turning down hardware acceleration a bit (Display Properties > Advanced > Troubleshoot > Hardware Acceleration) and see if that sorts it. If it does, check for latest drivers from the gfx card manufacturer (not the computer vendor).
Barry Baker

Post by Barry Baker »

n.hurst wrote:On XP, try turning down hardware acceleration a bit (Display Properties > Advanced > Troubleshoot > Hardware Acceleration) and see if that sorts it. If it does, check for latest drivers from the gfx card manufacturer (not the computer vendor).
I just tried your suggestion, but even with the hardware acceleration turned all the way down to zero, the flash still occurs.

I don't think it is a hardware issue, as it never happened before, and only occurs in ASP6 when I am in either select points (G) or create shape (U) and I click in a blank area of the workspace. And only the rectangle of the drawing area blinks, not the rest of the interface.

But I admit it is weird that only a couple of people so far have said it happens on their computers as well.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

It happens on mine too. While I'm here - is there a way to force AS to ONLY select individual points as it's very irritating that it persists in selecting multiple points when I'm only wanting to select and move one?
n.hurst

Post by n.hurst »

Thanks for trying. Does it still do it when different view options are selected? I forget where these have moved to in v6, but you know, the ones that control the display of anti-aliasing, construction curves, preview, etc.

Also, if it happens when clicking on nothing, does it still happen if you toggle the "Disable custom tool cursors" option in the Preferences dialog? <shrugs>