Raster or Vector

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

kori

Raster or Vector

Post by kori »

Is it possible to tell if an animation character was created with raster or vector drawings just by looking at it? I am not talking about background. I am just talking about line-drawn character animation. Look at the character sample below taken from a DVD animation. It looks to me as if it was created with a raster drawing program, but could it have been done with a vector program also?

Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

My guess is vector. I forgot the name of the software that a lot of Anime is made with, I think its CORE REGAS or REGAL or something, but they draw in vector.
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

Im not sure but i say vectors.
For example I can make well detailed characters like that one with vectors in anime studio, look at my samples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVruGxeaANo
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

It hard to tell with out seeing the video. If the hair has same repeated moments or doesn't move at all, then I would say raster.

Dale
kori

Post by kori »

I was wondering if there was a way to look at a clip of animation and tell if it was raster or vector line-drawing. From the posts so far it sounds like there is no way to tell one from the other.
chucky

Post by chucky »

RETAS
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

I'm believe its vector (depending on the age of the animation you were watching). it may look like its raster because of the output medium, or how you are viewing it.
Besides most if not all companies in Japan have gone the digital way, leaving behind the classic cel base and drawing digitally.

You can easily tell its vector if exported as a vector format (eg. swf)
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

"Created" is not defined enough. Do you mean the rough animation? the character sketches? the clean-up? the rendered animation?

Get used to the idea that each frame of a film may exist in several different stages of development and in different media. Most amateurs suffer from the impression that they only need to create everything once. Professionals know about how sketches, roughs, tests and everything eventually may become finished artwork. Somewhere in that workflow software might get incorporated, some of it bitmap-, other vector-based.
velu

may be

Post by velu »

May be it is raster or vector. I try tell if you show me a video file.
As my opinion while playing this movie, line will be showed its being.
I love Moho
dm

Post by dm »

Why does it matter?
Darramouss

Post by Darramouss »

I kind of agree with dm. You need to find your own style and make it your own rather than copy somebody else's.
Sheer will is my greatest talent - Sledge Hammer!
chucky

Post by chucky »

Er the question of raster or vector implies nothing about style or imitation.

:shock: