Is the Linux version holding AS back?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

The400th

Is the Linux version holding AS back?

Post by The400th »

This is going to make me REALLY unpopular, but with only 11 sales of the Linux version, wouldn't the single ASP programmer's time be better spent fixing and improving the Mac and Windows versions, rather than maintaining a Linux version?

I'm hoping against hope that it's just a button that is pressed that makes a Linux version out of the other versions, but surely even an hour spent specifically on the Linux version is an hour that could be spent making the thousands of other customers happy.

I've got nothing against Linux or its users, but I would respectfully suggest that the Linux version is only worked on once all of the important issues have been dealt with on the other versions.

Mike Clifton has already said that there wasn't enough time to put in all the features requested for ASP6. My question is, would some of those features have made it in if the Linux version wasn't being maintained?

Anyway, I'm sorry to all Linux users about saying this, it's nothing personal. But when I see a professional like Rhoel complaining about the Ease In bug which hasn't been fixed for years and that is holding back adoption by other professionals, which is probably only a few hours work to fix, I just wonder whether some tough decisions have to be made.

I have my flame-proof suit ready. :D Be gentle.
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

I would guess that the software is being developed on the linux platform. But I could be wrong there.
As for building a linux version, AS is pretty much cross-platform, not using much specific libraries and such so it should be pretty much to hit a button and make the build.

Regarding those 11 sales, I've said before that I don't think those are very accurate. The linux version has just begun to be sold at the SM-site, like in the last couple of weeks. Before that it was all windows or mac sales. Even if it in reality was linux sales they were not sold as such.

This is my believe, I can't back it with facts, that's up to Mike or SM to do.
Genete

Post by Genete »

I believe that the code is much more easy to create and maintain in a linux version. I think that the linux version is just a click a button and run because AS interface is not an standard - it has its own GUI. So it is not a big effort to translate it to linux.
Even some of the bugs aren't the same on the different platforms so it means that the problem is not in the common code rather than in the specific platform code. So keep alive the three versions allows to isolate speciphic failing code.

On the other side some of the most high end level animation companies use linux as its main OS due to its flexibility and the ability of customization.
Don't mention the capacities of render farm, multi core usage, or the virus free pluses.

There are plenty of commertial software (even very high end analysis software) that has a linux version available.
http://www.ansys.com/services/ss-platform-table.asp
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/in ... id=7639522
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pr ... _for_Linux
Sure there are much more.

You shouldn't confuse linux with non proffessional. Even more I bet that comparing the % of proffessionals in the linux world is bigger (in %) than in the Windows world. Although in absolute numbers the values are contraries.

-G
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Genete has helped me with scripting and "math tutorials" ;) more than anyone on this forum. His scripting ideas and AS techniques are inspirational and have given me the opportunity to push Anime Studio to do things the developer himself never would have thought of. Genete is the only person I know for sure who uses the linux version of AS but I am sure there are others here who have contributed to this online community.

I even suggested to Genete I should get a linux box and buy a copy of AS for it just to help out with testing that version. His response... "NO! Don't do it! You will never use Mac or Windows again!" ;)

If I could, I would personally buy a "bazillion" copies of AS pro and Debut and INSIST it get marked "on the books" as "Linux" purchases. Then I would give them all away to Linux users just to show my support to Genete and ALL the other linux users who use Anime Studio. ;)

THE LINUX VERSION DOES NOT HOLD ANIME STUDIO BACK. I think that platform needs to be supported by software developers big and small so that there is another choice besides Mac and Windows... so when Apple and Microsoft go bankrupt we won't have to wait very long at all to switch over and start using it again. ;)

---------

p.s. I can't buy a "bazillion" copies of anything at the moment but I can at least show my support for the anxious linux users who are going to have to wait even longer than everyone else for AS 6.

-vern
Genete

Post by Genete »

Genete has helped me with scripting and "math tutorials" :wink: more than anyone on this forum. His scripting ideas and AS techniques are inspirational and have given me the opportunity to push Anime Studio to do things the developer himself never would have thought of.
Holy cow! you are making me feel embarrassed! :oops: :oops:
The400th

Post by The400th »

Hey, you guys were gentle with me, thanks! :D

Just to comment on your comments...
I would guess that the software is being developed on the linux platform.
I thought I saw a Windows path in an error message, so at least the Windows version isn't made on Linux. But maybe I'm wrong. :) In any case, the program code could be written on an iPhone but it wouldn't make an iPhone version any easier to support.
I believe that the code is much more easy to create and maintain in a linux version.
That may be true, but if it still takes time over and above the other versions, it is time that could POTENTIALLY be spent doing something more useful to everyone, rather than a tiny minority.

Agent Smith is asking for Linux Beta testers - that implies that there will be Linux-specific problems that will take time to fix.
You shouldn't confuse linux with non proffessional.
I never said that or implied that or even thought that. If ASP isn't as good as it could be for professionals (as Rhoel has implied) then NO professionals, be they Linux, Mac or Windows based, will want to use it.
Genete has helped me with scripting and "math tutorials" Wink more than anyone on this forum.
This is nothing personal against the Linux users on this forum who have been active and helpful. Without being heartless, they could still be active and helpful in six months time once all the outstanding issues with Windows/Mac have been dealt with.

I'm not saying the Linux version should be dropped, just it shouldn't be a priority when there are still other issues.
THE LINUX VERSION DOES NOT HOLD ANIME STUDIO BACK. I think that platform needs to be supported by software developers big and small so that there is another choice besides Mac and Windows
So that's a political reason, rather than an argument for benefitting the vast majority of AS users.

---------------------------------------------------------

As Spock put it, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Then he died. But he got resurrected so that's okay. :D

I'm sure this conversation has been had many times at Castle SmithMicro, and it's almost certain the driving force behind keeping the Linux version is Mike Clifton.

Anyway, no hard feelings, I don't want to offend anyone, I just wanted to say the unmentionable, because now is the best time to say it.

I think I'm just hoping that the Linux version is such a breeze to maintain that it isn't getting in the way of new features and fixes.

And I'm wishing Agent Smith hadn't mentioned that figure of 11 sales, because without that I wouldn't be giving this a second thought. :x
Tim_Ley

Post by Tim_Ley »

11 sales? That's in spite of no publicity whatsoever. That's amazing!

I'm on Linux. Smith Micro knows I'm on Linux. They sent me an Email offering me a choice of Windows or Mac. Lovely.

How did these 11 people find out about the Linux version, I wonder? Does that include those of us who upgraded from Moho, or is it new users who somehow found out there was a Linux version in spite of all the ads mentioning only Windows and Mac?

How about publicising the thing for a little while before deciding not to develop it because of poor sales? Only fair.

Why does nobody use Linux? Because it doesn't come pre-installed on computers. Why doesn't Linux come pre-installed on computers? Because nobody uses it.

Sorry. I'm sounding bitter. I'll go away now.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

I might be interested in a Linux version. How do you go about ordering that?
walterhemming

Where to get Linux version?

Post by walterhemming »

[quote="InfoCentral"]I might be interested in a Linux version. How do you go about ordering that?[/quote]

Has the Linux version been discontinued? I can't find it anywhere!!
rylleman

Re: Where to get Linux version?

Post by rylleman »

walterhemming wrote: Has the Linux version been discontinued? I can't find it anywhere!!
I think it's coming later. It's probably in beta-testing phase right now.
Darramouss

Post by Darramouss »

Only 11 sales of Linux, you say? Well, there are a number of ways to look to what this means.

Yes, you could say that it may hold the PC and Mac community back. You could even say that Smith Micro most likely don't get enough return on the their investment, (return being profit on Linux units and their investment being time).

At the same time you could say that every single user, despite the platform, is an ambassador for the product, especially when displaying their wares to other people. You could also say that having a Linux version helps support the sale of their other Linux products. (Oooh, they have a Linux version of ASP!!! What else do they have that's Linux that I could purchase?)

From my own selfish point of view I sincerely hope they continue the Linux version as Genete's input is as valuable as Vern's. I think that ASP is a fantastic product that gains immense strength from the input of its users and the ability for its users to create new scripts and tools. Users like Genete make ASP stronger and more versatile.

(For the record I'm a Mac user and I'm more than happy to wait a little longer for updates as long as we all get said updates. Also, I don't think your post will make you unpopular.)
Sheer will is my greatest talent - Sledge Hammer!
walterhemming

Re: Where to get Linux version?

Post by walterhemming »

[quote="rylleman"]I think it's coming later. It's probably in beta-testing phase right now.[/quote]

Uh, Thanks. I assumed it's out, as I read some release news that were dated back to 2007.