3D software

(This forum has been closed. Please use the General Moho Discussion forum.)

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

Buddha

3D software

Post by Buddha »

What is a good program to use to create 3D models that can be imported to moho?
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Here are a few free 3D programs you can use. The first one is just a modeler, and works great together with Moho. The second one adds in some animation capabilities, and the third one is a very full-featured 3D animation program.

If all you want to do is create some models to use in Moho, I would recommend Wings 3D.

Wings 3D
http://www.wings3d.com/

Anim8or
http://www.anim8or.com/

Blender
http://www.blender3d.com/
Shaun Swanson

Post by Shaun Swanson »

Carrara 3D is my curent favorite all around 3D app. Check out www.swansonillustration.com. the cottage and the monkeys are Carrara. It also has a non-photorealistic renderer for painted back grounds in your 2D animations.

Shaun
Simpy

Post by Simpy »

Shaun, the picture with the light coming in through the window onto the vase and bowl is absolutely gorgeous.

Before i read it, i had thought you done it a 3d program.

That looks better than a LOT of people's work using 3d programs.

It's absolutely stunning, the light, the vase and the rose are absolutely gorgeous.

I'm interesting in knowing, how you got such spectacular highlights on the vase, and the light coming in through the window.

If you could help, I'd be ever so greatful :)

(I realise it wouldnt be easier, using photoshop myself)

I have msn if you do, we could perhaps talk sometimes, or through email, ill wait and see what you say :) :wink:
Fear Me Mortals
Shaun Swanson

Post by Shaun Swanson »

Thanks for the comments. I don't know what to say. The vase is about 10 different layers. For an object like that I draw the outline then do either the chrome or plasic wrap filter. Then I copy the layer and do it again, and again. I switch the blending modes of the layers, mask off parts I don't want, touch up parts I do want. I took a screen shot and "wrapped" it around the vase outline for a reflection with the liquify filter. Then I drew on even more highlights. I keep everything in layers so I can change stuff as I work. I just keep playing til I like it. As for the shine through the window, I just draw the shape, add a gradient from white to black, switch to screen blending mode to fade out the dark and blur it.

Feel free to email me anytime.

Thanks again,

Shaun
Simpy

Post by Simpy »

Cool.

Thanks especially on the light, (im a fan of light rays).

And i will have too sometime when im free on time (Grade 12 - Last year - you understand 8) )
Fear Me Mortals
MarkBorok

Post by MarkBorok »

Shaun Swanson wrote:Carrara 3D is my curent favorite all around 3D app. Check out www.swansonillustration.com. the cottage and the monkeys are Carrara. It also has a non-photorealistic renderer for painted back grounds in your 2D animations.

Shaun
Great work, esp. the cottage. I've been thinking about upgrading to Carrara from RayDream (my first ever 3D app), but I've already gotten Animation:Master and Lightwave and I think I should probably learn those first. I tried making a similar cottage scene in Animation:Master, but got stymied by the lack of a good tree-making method. The tree generator in Carrara is extremely cool.
Shaun Swanson

Post by Shaun Swanson »

The frogs on my site were done in Animation Master but I could have done them in Carrara in half the time. The really great thing about AM is the animation tools, but the program crashed alot and you are forced to model with AM splines.

Trees in Carrara are cool but the trunks for the most part all look the same and rendering all those leaves takes a lot of time and memory.

Still though, Carrara is my favorite app for the price right now.
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

"but the program crashed alot"
The exact reason I didn't purchase AM. The features are impressive but the headaches were bigger! Good to see I'm not the only one...

Blender is a good program but not very intuitive. It does have many features and is free to use.

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
MarkBorok

Post by MarkBorok »

I've had versions of A:M that crashed a lot, and then versions that didn't. They put out patches on a regular basis.
stalti

Post by stalti »

Hello!

Yes, I'm with you!!

I've been searching for "good" 3d-software for a long time!
(good means cheap and intuitive ...)
AM crashes a lot:even if they say it doesn't anymore ... i guess it depends on how you are good at it ... especially for beginners i somehow wouldn't recommend it (so which group does Hash aim for? They sell software that's intuitive but crashes and they say it's especially great for beginners? :-) ... nevertheless, they do a great job!!!)

Blender seems to be really good. (Judging from the quality of the site's gallery)
I love the beauty of it's interface but I hate the captions on those buttons! Not very intuitive at all.)

So i tried to get rid of some "old" Softimage 3d (really think that this was the best software on earth for doing character-animation), but then they quit selling it .... :-)

Nice greetings :-)